Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problems With Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gra_serra

gra_serra

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:09 AM

Hi

I have windows xp home edition, 2 days ago I started having problems with the internet, everytime I tried to do the windows update the page goes blank, it does the same thing with my email and some other pages. Other pages comes up but it won't let me view parts of the same page. It keep telling me to enable the cookies but it doesn't work.

I will appreciate all the help you can give me. Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:47 AM

Hello Welcome to BC.

First we need some information, like system specs as much as you can give us and also things like browser(s) used and important is you OS a legal version, if it is not Windows Update will not function but I do not think that is the case here and I just want to cover as many aspects as possible.

#3 gra_serra

gra_serra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:20 PM

Hello Thorxp

Ok, I am running Windows XP Home Edition in a Dell Dimension 2350, it was installed in the computer from the manufacturer. The computer was working fine a couple of days ago. The problems started when I try to install Norton Antivirus and Internet Security 2004.

Hope you can help me with this. Thank You

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:42 PM

Were you successful in installing the Internet Security? If so, you might check this page.

#5 gra_serra

gra_serra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

No, I never finish installing it. A error message pop's up

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:24 PM

Well, for one thing there is no such thing as a successful install of any Norton product, and this is where your problem is and started. Here is the fix:

How to Fully Remove Norton 2004 and newer
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42247/how-to-completely-remove-norton-security-products/

Tools Needed = * SymNRT.exe clcik on this in red and it will download.

#7 gra_serra

gra_serra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

Hi ThorXP

I successfully remove all Norton components, but I still get blank page when I try to view some pages like, hotmail and microsoft updates.

Thanks for all the help

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

Use Window System Restore to reset your system state to a date before you tried to install Norton.

start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:27 PM

As much as I hate to suggest this because sometimes it costs money I think this is one of those times calling tech support might be in order but before that I would suggest running Hijackthis and letting our team of experts try to see if you are infected. It will take a little while to get an answer from them but they are usually right on.

Download Hijack This from Merjin
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

there are some things out ther e that will kill windows update and also things with the computer that will also I just want to make sure your system is clean.

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:19 AM

If you do not want to do Hijackthis you can try this:

Error message: The page cannot be displayed

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q241344

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:00 AM

Hi gra_serra

Just in case you decide to move forward by posting a Highjack This log, the information available at below link, is a must read.
As it address' all preliminary steps, that one should take before posting a Highjack This log.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log

Hi and welcome to the Bleeping Computer forums. If you are reading this article, chances are that you are looking for a solution to a possible malware attack. Please follow these steps in order to clean your computer as best as we can before you post your HijackThis log.

* You should try Enthusiast's suggestion in his above post first. Before attempting any further, more complicated actions.

Edited by Scarlett, 24 April 2006 - 08:01 AM.

Posted Image

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:14 AM

Just a shot in the dark here - but here's a nice little, free utility (named Dial-A-Fix) that will re-register your files for IE and other things. Please read the directions thoroughly before using!

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 gra_serra

gra_serra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

Thank You very much guys I will try all your suggestions. Honestly I am kind of frustrated with my computer

Thank's for all the help. I will get back to you before the end of the date and let you know what happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users