Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New ipad user

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Abbigail_25

Abbigail_25

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

I recently bought ipad for personal use. However, no ports for Usb's -I used a lot- How do I save any data I find on the net? Should I buy Apple laptop or ipad extension. I am teacher want to use in classroom situation.

Edit: Moved topic from Mac OS to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:45 AM

Apple sells lightning connectors to usb cables if you really need to connect it to a computer. 

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

I recently bought ipad for personal use. However, no ports for Usb's -I used a lot- How do I save any data I find on the net? Should I buy Apple laptop or ipad extension. I am teacher want to use in classroom situation.

What kind of data are you trying to save from the Internet to the iPad?

With certain document types (such as PDF files), you will get an "Open with..." button in the upper right corner of the document when you open it in Safari. From there you will then be able to choose which app you want to "open" and essentially save that document with. For example, if you view PDF document from the Internet, you can then use the "Open with..." button to open that PDF in iBooks. This will also save that document to iBooks.

The types of documents that offer the "Open with..." button will depend on what apps you have installed on your iPad. Basically, you need an app that can "handle" that type of document.

You can also get documents on an iPad by either syncing them through iTunes (assuming you have an app that works with the document type and supports syncing through iTunes) or by using some sort of third party cloud service (Dropbox is a very good choice...the Dropbox app have the built-in ability to view the "big" types of documents...i.e. PDFs, Word files, Excel files, and PowerPoint...note that the viewing is very basic).

It really will depend on what you want to try to do with it. If you are specific on how you would like to use it (i.e. what specific tasks do you want to do with it), then we can likely be more specific.

#4 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

I am a retired teacher.  I recently purchased a MacBook Air, which is a laptop with ports for connectivity.  You'll be able to find more educational software, too.  Check out the educator's price for a MacBook Air.  It's not too expensive.  

You can still have fun with an iPad for home use.

Why not have both?  The operating system is different on iPads and laptops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users