Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Upload Window Hangs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jacob'scomputer

jacob'scomputer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

Hello,

For a few months, I have been having a strange and irritating problem with my computer. Whenever I try to upload a file using any browser or outlook, etc., the file upload window freezes, goes "not responding", and eventually the entire program crashes. This only happens when I navigate the window to "desktop" (that is, to upload a file from my desktop) but since desktop is the default location that opens when I hit "browse" in any of my browers, this means I cannot upload files at all from my browsers. I have been working around this by using outlook to upload files (which defaults to "documents"), and making sure not to navigate to desktop, or by uploading files to websites where I can drag them, rather than navigate to the file upload window.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Jacob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

I don't quite understand what your problem is !  I have tried to replicate it and can't. Using Firefox 23 and IE 8 I cannot find any control to upload a file anywhere. 'File open' in both works quite normally. In IE 8, you get an 'Open file' dialogue box where, even if the start point is my desktop, it doesn't crash the browser. In Firefox, 'File open' takes you to wherever you last opened a file, and even if I navigate to my desktop and open one of the two - very temporary - files sitting there, again, the browser doesn't crash.

I wil admit I only know of two ways of uploading files - attaching them to an e-mail, or using some form of FTP software. I will also admit that I have had occasional problems with both of these methods but I cannot remember crashing a browser trying to attach a file to an e-mail.

Can you come back with a sequence of the commands that are creating this problem ?  I'll have another go at trying to recreate it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jacob'scomputer

jacob'scomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Oh sorry, let me clarify. The problem is that whenever I try to attach a file through email, or upload it to a website, the window that opens (that lets you choose where you are uploading the file from on your computer) crashes. So, for example, if I am in gmail, click compose, and then click attach (the paperclip) a window opens called "file upload," but it opens already frozen. Similarly, if on this page I click "more reply options" and then click "Browse" under the header "Attach files," the windows explorer window that opens that allows me to choose which file to upload from which folder us the one that freezes. As I said, this only happens if the folder that is selected in the "file upload" navigator is "desktop," so if in windows outook I click "attach" and it defaults to selecting from my documents, the window does not freeze, but if I navigate the window to desktop it then freezes. And in firefox, chrome and IE when I click "Browse" or "attach" on some website, the default folder location is desktop, so the window opens already frozen, and my entire browser freezes with it.

I would upload a screenshot, but unfortunately that is precluded by the very problem I am having...

Thanks for your help!

Jacob

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

With understanding comes bafflement !  I have just sent an innocent friend of mine two e-mails with attached files that she can junk, I did warn her first. I copied two files - both small .JPGs - to my desktop and then attached one to each of two e-mails. I used Firefox for one and IE for the other. Both attachments worked perfectly and both e-mails went correctly and nothing froze !

If it was the case that this was happening in only one browser, I would suggest uninstalling it and re-installing, but this is not the case. Could it be a problem with the settiings in G-mail ?  You say it is a problem of several months standing, that takes us back to about the time Google completely re-cast their e-mail interface. I'm afraid my knowledge of G-mail is second hand. I teach computing in the local library and set up G-mail accounts for any of my students that need an e-mail account. My student this coming Monday is one of them, I'll put a couple of files on the desktop then and see what happens. I'll geet back to you.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 jacob'scomputer

jacob'scomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

I do not think you will be able to reproduce the problem on your own computer, since this is a case of mine not functioning properly, and presumably yours does function properly. It is not a problem with gmail, because it happens on every website. It is a problem with windows explorer.

Perhaps I am not posting in the right forum, do you know where I should be posting for dealing with problems of this sort?

Jacob

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Not sure if this would help but try looking on Internet Options - Programs - Set Programs - Set Program Access and Computer Defaults for custom, Microsoft and Non Microsoft.

Tekken

#7 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

jacob'scomputer, try System File Checker

From an administrator account, close all programs, then open an Administrator Command prompt -- Open the Start Menu, type cmd in the search box, and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter. 

At the command prompt type the following and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

That's sfc[space]/scannow.  When it completes, if you're still at the command prompt, type exit then press Enter.

If anything was fixed, try your uploading again.

#8 jacob'scomputer

jacob'scomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything out of the ordinary in those options you recommended I check, jhayz, and sfc /scannow "did not find any integrity violations." I suppose I might try reinstalling windows, only I would rather not since I do not have an available copy. Does anyone else have any further suggestions?

#9 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

When you open Windows Explorer by itself, does that freeze as well?

If you don't have it pinned to the task bar, click on Start, type explorer.exe in the search box, press Enter.

If that seems to be doing okay, navigate to \users\username\desktop and see if you get any errors opening that folder.

Have you tried with a different user name?  Or with an admin name vs. regular user name?

Edited by MzLindyOne, 25 August 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#10 jacob'scomputer

jacob'scomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

I tried all of those things and nothing worked, but I managed to fix the problem by going into msconfig and preventing all non-microsoft services from loading at startup. Not sure exactly what was the problem, but I've fixed it for now.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

#11 mattyjt

mattyjt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

I had exactly the same problem as jacob'scomputer. I also went into msconfig and disabled various things at startup. I seem to have narrowed the problem down to the Atheros Communications Bluetooth software. Now that Atheros is disabled at startup files are attaching to Gmail normally. Thanks for the tip Jacob.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users