Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing "hosts" File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EricGB

EricGB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 06:43 PM

On a system running XP Home, with Webroot Spy Sweeper and Spybot and Norton Antivirus 2004:

I was configuring a VPN that uses the Sonicwall client (with help from our Techie at our International Office). We went to add some required entries into the "hosts" file in .../system32/drivers/etc/ only to discover that the file wasn't there. We created the file, added the entries, and everything was working fine.

I ran a full sweep with Norton and Spy Sweeper. Spy Sweeper reported the presence of "cws_ns3" in the registry - the files are clean (I swept all of the hard drive).

Now comes the fun part - I have quarantined and removed the offending entries in safe mode, normal mode, with system restore off and on and the blasted thing keeps coming back on reboot. Further, the "hosts" file keeps disappearing, and without it I can't access the VPN. I've run CWShredder and it reports that there is *no infection*.

I don't have "Hijack This" but, after reading a number of posts all over the web, am starting to think I need to get it - though the log isn't going to do me much good: I'm a Mac guy with a rudimentary knowledge of Windows. Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated - and my apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum.

A mac man in a windows world...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 07:32 PM

Hi EricGB You may want to read this info. The Highjack Team here @ Bleeping Computer will help you. Just have a little patience.

How To Submit A Highjack This Log

Putting Highjack This Into Its Own Folder
Posted Image

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:54 PM

If you do have NS3 then that will delete your hosts file.

Create a directory on your hardrive, to save HijackThis.exe, called c:\hijackthis. This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Download the latest version, from here.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum. Do not fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users