Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a Toshiba Portege S100 laptop handle 1GB of RAM?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hi all,

I'm curious about this because when fixing this particular laptop I have, I need to know if the motherboard can handle this amount of ram.  If anyone has one of these, and can tell me, please let me know.  there is nothing on the current internet about this; I haven't searched the way back machine yet; I figured it'd be quicker just to ask here LOL. 

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2014 - 01:43 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

According to: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2480

It can handle: 1.5GB DDR2 533mhz RAM (512MB stock)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

okay thanks.  I'll have to see if the RAM I have will work with this computer; my friend has a similar computer, but it's a different model, so the modules she gave me might be the same or different; i'll have to check. 

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

If you guys are wondering what happened to this computer. The repair didn't go well.  In fact, I killed it.  I attempted to replace both the CMOS batterry and the hard drive, the CMOS, which it was highly unnecessary to replace due to the rechargeability of NIMH batteries.  I should have known that, for there was a damaged screw close to the system board, and I didn't have a reverse drill bit to remove the screw.  All I had was a file, which my friend helped me to use, and in removing the damaged and stripped screw that way, she accidentally made a tiny mark on the motherboard and the computer died for good after that, so, the 2005, Toshiba Portege S100-S113TD laptop, which lasted for eight and a half years, is dead.  I didn't think I'd find a motherboard suitable for it in this day and age, and I wonder whether I had made a mistake on that assumption and didn't trust my instincts, as a result, I lost my first computer I ever owned. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users