Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to replace the hard drive in 2005 Toshiba Laptops

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hi all,

I've got a Toshiba Portege S100 laptop that was built in CA. 2005, and I now need to replace the hard drive.  The problem is, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to take it apart; some laptops have a single cover that houses all of the components (as does my Dell Latitude E6530 over here).  I am blind, so I'm doing this all by feel, so remember that pictures will do me no good; you have to describe in detail what I'm actually looking for; I'm on my way to becoming CompTIA certified, and so I know that I can do this if I know how it works.  I think I found the battery latch for this particular Toshiba (I can move it, though I can't figure out how the battery door slides open.)  If I can find that, then I can find the hard drive; but there are a ton of screws on there, so if somebody could just explain to me which screws I need to remove, then that's going to be no problem. 

Thanks so much,

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:58 AM

Hi,

I've never seen the laptop myself and am basing myself on this guide: http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Portege-S100/take-apart-notebook-1.htm So let's hope that this'll work. :)

You don't need to remove the battery to exchange the hard drive. But for future reference: There are two latches you need to unhook. One thin and long and one short but wide.

Ok, let's close the laptop and turn it around. Put it down so that the opening (between laptop body and screen) is facing towards you. The battery should now be at the end facing away from you. For orientation: I will be referring to the battery side as "up" and the side facing towards you as "down" and the direction between the two is "vertical" for me. The other direction will be "horizontal" and I'll be using left and right to refer to the respective sides.
So for the battery the long and thin latch is on the left side just below the battery, whereas the second latch is on the lower end of the right side of the battery, both are oriented horizontally.
There's a third latch which is oriented vertically (so can be moved in the direction towards or away from you, not left to right), if you move down in the middle of the laptop from the battery over the docking station connector. This latch is to unhook your cd-drive (I guess).

All this being said, it does not help with your problem, but might be interesting for future needs. Luckily it should be quite easy for your laptop to remove the hard drive, there's only one cover to remove.
Check the bottom left part of your laptop and locate the rubber-foot there. This foot is part of a removable cover, which takes up about 1 third of the laptop both in height and width and is a rectangle with rounded corners. There is just one screw, which is on the right side of the cover, centered. Just below the screw, there's a small indentation which should help you with lifting the cover up and out. Underneath that is the hard drive and the plastic latch to pull it out is on the side where the screw is.

Hope that helps!

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

Thanks!  That was very descriptive; now if every guide you find on the internet and every manual provided by tech companies would be that descriptive and not so full of images, I and every other  blind tech on this earth  would be so happy.  just a thought; what's wrong with text to supplament an image?  Anyway, enough of my ranting.  Now I won't mess this up on film for my YouTube channel LOL.  and while we're at it, did you by any chance see on that guide there whether the RAM modules are anywhere near the hard drive?  I'm thinking of upping the amount of RAM in this computer as well so that it can run Windows 7.  Thanks again for the hand! 

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

There is one RAM slot in the access panel closest to the battery and a second slot under the keyboard. Page 2 of the instructions shows the RAM under the keyboard.

Edited by lti, 22 August 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,771 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

Hi,

as already said by Iti, there is one ramstick in a slot when you move from the latch for the cd-drive to the right. The slot is not rectangular, it's more like two rectangles stacked on top of each other. The upper one being smaller than the one below.
When you move from the cd-drive latch to the right until you meet the cover, you should be roughly at the position where the indentation is to help remove the cover. But before that you remove the screw. For that follow the side of the cover down, it'll expand to the left in two small steps. just below the second bend, there should be the screw you need to remove.
Below that cover you find one stick of RAM and the modem. The modem is in the "smaller rectangle" at the top and fastened by two screws, while the RAM is in the lower rectangle.

Let me know if you want to get at the other RAM module as well, because for that you need to completely dissassemble the laptop, including removing the screen and all periphery. It's a little longer to spell out and looks like a lot of work.

regards
myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

That would be good, considering my aim is to get Windows 7 running on this computer, and I don't think it can run with only 512 GB of RAM.  Not to mention, the CMOS battery is dead in it as well.  But thanks for your assistance so far! 

#7 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,771 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

I would think that 512GB is more than most have :wink: I'm kidding of course, I know what you mean :)

ok.. let's see how far we get, unfortunately I'm leaving tomorrow, so I don't know when I can continue (but I will be back in two weeks at the latest).

So we have removed the hard drive and the first stick of RAM. Remove the two screws on the modem and disconnect the modem. Also remove the battery. Then remove the final cover, which covers the wifi card. It is to the right of the hard drive. The screw is on the right side of the cover, roughly in the middle. The indentation to remove the cover is directly above it

The wifi card has two antennas connected to it, they are at the top of the wifi-card and connected with two small screws. disconnect the wifi card from them, then take out the wifi card.

Next you need to remove all the screws remaining in the bottom part. If I counted correctly there should be 15. 3 in the top right corner, 3 in the top left corner. 4 just outside of each corner of the harddrive compartment. 1 centered below the wifi-card compartment. One on the right side of the wifi compartment just above the indentation, where there is an edge. The remaining 3 are distributed along side the right side of the laptop.

Then disconnect the two cables on the modem bay (This is in the compartment just below the battery, at the very top of the compartment).

Next is the screw that keeps the dvd drive in place, it is just below the latch that unlocks the dvd drive. After you removed the screw, you should be able to remove the dvd drive.

Now it is time to turn the laptop around and open it. Next we want to remove the keyboard bezel with a flathead screwdriver.

Start at the right hinge of the screen on the laptop body and locate the speaker. Move to the left from there, you should feel that the cover is split into two parts there: a smaller one towards the keyboard, a larger one towards the screen. The smaller one towards the keyboard is the bezel. After that remove the speaker covers on the left and the right of the keyboard as well. They seem to have two hinges, one left, one right each in the middle.

Now it's time to remove the keyboard, there are three screws that are holding it in place, that were under the bezel before. They are roughly equi-distant. There is a fourth screw on the left, that does not belong to the keyboard, but rather to the band containing the power button.You will need to remove that too (but it's possible that this can only be removed after the keyboard was removed. So I would do this step last)

The next step says to "Remove the keyboard mounting bracket.". Unfortunately I have no idea what this is supposed to mean and the picture gives little indication too. The best I can do is describe: The two outer screws are seemingly fixing the keyboard directly, while the screw in the middle seems to hold something that is underneath the keyboard, this may be the bracket or not. So I can't really guide you there, it looks though as if all things are loose and you should be able to lift the keyboard out now. The connector to the MB sits at the bottom left end. The entire left half underneath the keyboard is covered by a plastic film. It has a hole where the MB connector for the keyboard is, but said hole is covered by an additinal plastic latch. It may be hard to find.

Once you have disconnected the keyboard and the band containing the power-button, you should be able to remove the plastic film. Next we need to remove 3 screws. Locate the connector to the keyboard again, if you move along the top side of the compartment, you should feel a hole roughly in the middle. Move up from there and you should find the first screw, move up a little further and you should fine the second screw. Follow the outline of the cover to the right side of the compartment and you should find the third screw, again roughly in the middle of the compartment. Remove the cover and you have reached the second RAM stick.

I'm not 100% sure where the CMOS battery is, but I think further disassembly is needed. Unfortunately it's getting late for me, so I do not have the time to write this out now.  We can do this once I get back.. Or maybe someone else is curious to take on this challenge :)

regards

myrti

#8 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thanks.  I'm probably going to have to do this in pieces anyway since the most important part of it is the hard drive at the moment.  I think that Windows 7 can run with 512 gigs of RAM, it'll just be slow for a while till I can upgrade the modules inside. 

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,771 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

Hi,

Part of the challenge is that I haven't found out where the cmos battery is myself. I had a look at the manual and know what it should look like but I didn't see it in any picture nor is it mentioned in the guide.

Regards myrti

#10 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

If it's not mentioned, then that could only mean one thing.  Maybe to continue Toshiba's view of older technology (planned obscelescence, for those who don't know how to get around it, that it), that the clock battery's a soldered component?  If so, then maybe my appreciation and fanship of Toshiba products should change.  Unless I can get a friend of mine to give me a hand ...

#11 lti

lti

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Let me know if you want to get at the other RAM module as well, because for that you need to completely dissassemble the laptop, including removing the screen and all periphery. It's a little longer to spell out and looks like a lot of work.

It doesn't look that hard. Look at steps 9-12. The RAM is under the keyboard, and all you need to remove is a piece of clear plastic and a metal cover.

I don't see the CMOS battery in any of those pictures either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users