Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just got another phone call.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hoahao

hoahao

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Some clown with a foreign accent claiming to be from Microsoft security just called and told me my computer was filled with virus and my hard drive was slow.  I played dumb.  He asked why I hadn't opened the email they have been sending me and I claimed I never got any thing.  Reality is, I've been deleting all the bogus stuff without reading or opening the attachments for years. 

He then said he wanted me to hit the key on the right of the Ctrl key at the same time as I hit the letter R.   Naturally, I said sure!!  He asked what did I see and I said "Nothing,"  "Try again" sez he.  "Still nothing" sez I.  Nothing happened cause I wasn't touching any keys. LOL

Sooo, now he wants to know about my browser so we go around and around with that. So's finally, I tell'em I use AOL.  He wants to know what aol uses and I say, "Beats me, I been using it for 20 years ever since I got on the internet; I just point and click..   So, now he wants me to type in the following into the long white box thing that has http in it at the top.   www XXXX  my xx.com  Letters deleted to protect the innocent.

I told him sure, just as soon as I got the Bleepin' Computer forum to check it out and hung up.  I think I wasted a good five minutes of his time while I surfed da net and played dumb with him

Here's the # he supposedly called from:

Unknown Name
   326-172-0000

edit: Now that I think about it.  How's come the NSA, reading everybodies email and phone calls doesn't do us all a public service and "Delete" these guys??

Edited by quietman7, 21 August 2013 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

Cybercriminals often use the names of well-known companies, like ours, in their scams. They think it will convince you to give them money or your personal information. While they usually use email to trick you, they sometimes use the telephone, instead....We do not send unsolicited email messages or make unsolicited phone calls to request personal or financial information or fix your computer. If you receive an unsolicited email message or phone call that purports to be from Microsoft and requests that you send personal information or click links, delete the message or hang up the phone. Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls to help you fix your computer.

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

Microsoft will not make unsolicited phone calls to help you with your computer. If you receive a phone call like this, hang up.

Don’t fall for phony phone tech support

Cybercriminals don't just send fraudulent email messages and set up fake websites. They might also call you on the telephone and claim to be from Microsoft. They might offer to help solve your computer problems or sell you a software license...Neither Microsoft nor our partners make unsolicited phone calls (also known as cold calls) to charge you for computer security or software fixes...Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Avoid tech support phone scams: What you need to know

...it's a scam. Microsoft doesn't call people because of errors on their computer. Neither do ISPs, security companies, or pretty much anyone else who might claim some role of internet authority or otherwise...

Ask Leo: I got a call from Microsoft and allowed them access to my computer. What do I do now?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users