Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cable TV to my computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flobiwan

flobiwan

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Can anyone help me figure out a way to get my cable TV to my computer?  I'm not so much interested in WATCHING TV on my PC but in streaming it so i can record programs in DIVX.  My PC streams to my smart TV so i could then watch the divx files on my TV.  I'm just trying to figure out a way to record shows directly on my PC so i can save them.

Ideally, i would like to be able to go to some menu on my computer with all the shows listed, click on a show and have it download to divx, however i don't think that exists yet. 

Another idea is some way to wirelessly stream shows from my cable box to my PC and use some sort of software to record the show on divx.  Again, i don't know if this type of thing exists but that would be great.

I don't have an extra slot for another video card and i have three monitors so if i needed a TV tuner card, i would have to get one with three monitor inputs. 

What options are there for me?  My computer is 2 years old and reasonably powerful with 16GB of RAM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hi

You will need to give more details. For example do You want to capture in SD or in HD?

What outputs does Your cable box support?

For example. Composite (Red, yellow, White) RCA?

Component or HDMI or RF?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 BTC

BTC

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Have you looked into a simple TV card like:

http://hauppauge.com/

BTC

#4 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

I don't really care about capturing in HD, although i would take advantage of it if it wasn't a problem.  The cable box is an Explorer 8300HD DVR.  It has RCA out, component video, digital audio, HDMI and S-video. 

As it stands now, i have the cable box going to my old DVD recorder which is use to burn DVDs, then take the DVDs to my PC which i convert to divx and keep on the PC.  I'm just trying to figure out a way to simplify the process so i can go right from the cable box to the PC without so many steps. 

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

I use this one with component. Just to be clear component has 5 RCA plugs.

Red, Green, Blue for video and Red and white for stereo audio.

I use this one with component, it does not do HDMI. It connects to a USB port. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

• Built-in hardware H.264 high definition encoder, for high performance, high quality TV recordings
  • Component video input (YCrCb or YPrPb) from most high definition cable TV and satellite TV receivers. Optical or stereo audio inputs.
  • Record high definition video at up to 1080i resolution, 720p or VGA/D1
  • Record at datarates from 1Mbs to 13.5Mbs, constant and Variable Bit Rate
Record formats

There are three H.264 formats you can choose when recording a video:

• .TS, which is a generic 'transport stream' compatible with many digital media players
  • .M2TS, which is compatible with the Sony Playstation3
  • .MP4, which is compatible with the XBox360

More details by following the Link I posted.

I just capture to .MP4 files and then turn them into a BluRay disk or I can play them direct on my WD media player.

I have decided that I like the quality of 1080i captures.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

That looks great! I was looking for avi but mp4 will stream to my smart TV as well.  Thanks! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users