Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

manage add ons pops up everytime i open ie9

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 harishr4you

harishr4you

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

Guys,

I have a got a new problem now.

Everytime I open the IE , it gives me this Manage add-ons windows. and talks about the Default Search. which I don't want to come..

I have downgraded the IE to default IE8. still the same. I have tried adding the "Bing" search to the Search Providers. No go.

I have tried to deleted the 3 registry value suggested by the Microsoft support. Still the same issue.

I have again tried upgrading it back to the IE 9, thinking if that could fix the issue. Still the same issue. :-(

I have run the Malwarebytes & the Hitman pro to check for infections & removed the infections which was there. Still the same.

Any other suggestions please??...

Please help me guys...

Thanx in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

If Google is set for your default search provider, you need to remove it from the list, or simply choose another search provider.

1. Goto Tools-Manage Addons

2. Remove Google from the list if it's listed

3. Choose another provider. If none is showing up, then simply click "Find more search providers" on the bottom.

4. Choose one from the list.

*Note if you only have 1 selection in the Addons list, it will not allow you to remove it. You have to have more than 1 in the list*

Edited by chrisd87, 21 August 2013 - 11:47 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 harishr4you

harishr4you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Chrisd87, I just have only one Addon which is Google. It is the default it says. But cannot remove that as well like you said. I also, tried installing Bing , Norton... but nothing happened.. it doesn't help me in fixing it.

Any other suggestions?

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

So when you click on find more providers. It will open a page of all the providers. If you click on bing for example, it should open another page and ask you to "Add to Internet Explorer." When you click that a dialog box should pop up and it should ask you to set it as the default provider, which in this case you will want to do.

What exactly are you experiencing, if the above is not what is happening for you?

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Issue: Everytime you open IE , you get Manage add-ons windows and it talks about the Default Search. which you don't want to come

--- When you say it talks about the Default Search: what is the exact message?

You have only one Addon which is Google and It is the default and you cannot remove it

--- Consider uninstalling any programs in your list of installed programs that you don’t need including Google

You reverted back to IE8 from IE9 without any success

You returned back to IE9 without any success

--- Select which one you want and stay with it

Then try http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_and_safety/en-us

You cannot add Bing as a Search Provider

--- After you run the above go to www.bing.com and work it from there. Make it your home page first if you want

You ran Malwarebytes & Hitman Pro to remove some infections

--- Are both programs finding infections?

If you get more infections again post back on what they are and from which program they are being found

You had problems before: what were they?

You cannot install Bing or Norton

--- Hopefully Bing was straightened out above

--- What’s the reason you want to install Norton? You are already working with 2 programs that you mentioned

--- Usually If you are running two anti-virus at the same time, issues come into the picture

#6 harishr4you

harishr4you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

So when you click on find more providers. It will open a page of all the providers. If you click on bing for example, it should open another page and ask you to "Add to Internet Explorer." When you click that a dialog box should pop up and it should ask you to set it as the default provider, which in this case you will want to do.

What exactly are you experiencing, if the above is not what is happening for you?

I tried that  "Find more search providers" as well. It gave me list of providers but with no success. It gave me an error stating that the browser settings has been corrupted. I was unable to reset the seetings as well in the Normal mode. Then I had to login to the SMWN and then reset the seetings after enabling the "Windows Installer" there.

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Once you reset the settings, were you able to change the provider?

#8 harishr4you

harishr4you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Issue: Everytime you open IE , you get Manage add-ons windows and it talks about the Default Search. which you don't want to come

--- When you say it talks about the Default Search: what is the exact message?

You have only one Addon which is Google and It is the default and you cannot remove it

--- Consider uninstalling any programs in your list of installed programs that you don’t need including Google

You reverted back to IE8 from IE9 without any success

You returned back to IE9 without any success

--- Select which one you want and stay with it

Then try http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_and_safety/en-us

You cannot add Bing as a Search Provider

--- After you run the above go to www.bing.com and work it from there. Make it your home page first if you want

You ran Malwarebytes & Hitman Pro to remove some infections

--- Are both programs finding infections?

If you get more infections again post back on what they are and from which program they are being found

You had problems before: what were they?

You cannot install Bing or Norton

--- Hopefully Bing was straightened out above

--- What’s the reason you want to install Norton? You are already working with 2 programs that you mentioned

--- Usually If you are running two anti-virus at the same time, issues come into the picture

There are not error messages. As soon I launch IE, it comes up with the Manage Addons windows automatically.

I didnt remove the Google toolbar from the Programs & Features. but i did a complete Clean Boot (disabled, the Load Startup items, Hide all Microsoft Services & Disable all).  Ran a CCleaner and removed the Google from the Startup and the IE.

#9 harishr4you

harishr4you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Once you reset the settings, were you able to change the provider?

No, It is still the same.

#10 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

You may have a corrupt user profile : Fix a corrupted user profile

#11 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

Also, have you tried to remove Internet Explorer and reinstall it? Here is a link that may help. I seen that you have tried to upgrade and then downgrade, but try removing it completely, and reinstalling it.

#12 harishr4you

harishr4you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Also, have you tried to remove Internet Explorer and reinstall it? Here is a link that may help. I seen that you have tried to upgrade and then downgrade, but try removing it completely, and reinstalling it.

I uninstalled the IE 9 from Control panel which got downgraded to IE 8  automatically.

#13 harishr4you

harishr4you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

You may have a corrupt user profile : Fix a corrupted user profile

I will try this step as suggested.

Coz I am unable to save any files on C drive or desktop. It says I will have to save it to the My Documents. So does this mean that the profile is corrupted or how is it ?

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

It looks like you have more than an IE problem with those additional issues.

Not knowing what issues you had before or what infections are being found you probably need to do some deep investigating & cleaning. Others can help you on that more than I can but consider that

#15 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

Looks like all the permissions are all screwed up. A simple way to tell if it's your profile/user account, is to just make you another user account. If the new user account is working perfectly, then more than likely you do have a corrupted account/profile. You can then simply create you a new account, and then move your old files to your new account.

If doing that doesn't resolve your issue, you may want to move this topic over to the Am I Infected Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users