Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Components Wiped During File Shred!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jaygee61

Jaygee61

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:33 AM

Greetings! First post here guys and I think it's a good one for the "experts" out there!

I've been working with PC's for quite a while, but after this little "faux-pas", obviously not long enough!

First of all, here are my system specs;

ASUS P5BW-LA Basswood Socket 775
Intel Pentium M 6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
8 GB PC2-6400 DDR2
250 GB SATA HD w/multiple USB drives
Nvidia GeForce GT 610 1GB
Realtek Onboard 5.1 High Def Audio
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

There was also an additional 250 GB SATA "slave" HD connected that I was using for additional storage. This lil' bugger was where my problem occured! It should be mentioned that this drive had not been wiped and still had an OS on it, Vista I think, could've been an old copy of Win 7. Anyway, I decided I wanted to clear up some space on this drive yesterday using a generic file "shredder". This drive had it's own label in My Computer, E:/ I think it was, so I thought there would be no harm in deleting all the old files from it that had been used when it had previously been a main OS drive. This included Program Files, Users, Windows... the whole lot! As I said, this drive had it's own label, so I assumed there wouldn't be a problem. I also came across a folder called "Windows.old" that I had never seen before and included it in the "shred". I should also mention that all this was done while booted up in Safe Mode.

Anyway, long story short... when this little operation was complete and I rebooted in normal mode, all my desktop icons were gone except for My Computer and Recycle Bin and I had no background. So I went into C:/ drive and all my programs were still there but I found that in Control Panel, all my Administrative Tools were gone along with who knows what other OS elements! After a lot of futile research, I ended up wiping my main drive, reinstalling Windows and basically starting from scratch.

Now I have a NEW Windows.old folder on my C:/ drive with all my old software in it! I won't be messing with THAT thing again!

So does anyone know of a way I could have solved this problem without having to start again from scratch? Any insight is appreciated! Sorry this is so long-winded!

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaygee61

Jaygee61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Bump!

No ideas at all?  :orange:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Not sure what you are searching for.

When system files are damaged or removed....there are only a couple of alternatives to attempt to restore them.

a.  The sfc /scannow command.

b.  A repair install effort, courtesy of a Win 7 DVD.

c.  Sometimes...you can luckily replace the files by reinstalling the latest SP.

Clean install is the last option I'm aware of.

If the system is an OEM...some of the above options may be limited or unavailable.  OEM make one solution to system problems for their customers...it's called "factory restore".

Louis

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

File shredders are pretty much a waste of time unless you are trying to hide deleted information, even then they are just a gimmick that potentially can backtrack links to other parts of your machine and do damage. I don't need to tell you that though...

So, next time you want a whole drive clean and fresh ready to go, just reformat it :thumbsup2:

#5 Jaygee61

Jaygee61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for the tips!  Apparently I need to be a bit more judicious with my use of file shredders...  or don't use them at all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users