Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD Card Reader

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terryco

terryco

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

I have an Acer Aspire T180-197Z. I have Vista Home Basic 32 bit. The PC is about 5 years old and up untill now i have had no need to use the SD card reader. I put a card in the reader and a drive appears but when i try to open/expore it just buffers. When i take the card out then it states Open and then insert a disc into the drive. I have tried with other cards blank and full with the same problem. I have looked on Acers site and cant see any help with updating the drivers. My Microsoft updates are all the latest. If anyone can help with this problem i would be thankfull

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

This article from Microsoft may clear things up, and even point the way to a solution :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939772

As I remember the sequence, XP did not natively support SD cards at all, there was a work around that sometimes worked. Vista supported SD cards but only some SDHC ones, while Win 7 supports them all. I gave the article above a quick look and it seems that Vista is sensitive to the structure of SDHC cards. If worst comes to the worst, you may have to change your brand of card, but you can always recover the data on them using a computer running Win 7 and transferring it to a temporary USB drive.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

Thank You, for the reply and information.

#4 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Just letting you know Chris the Hotfix seems to have done the trick. The Cards are now readable. Thanks again

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Glad it helped. Nothing worse than having a bunch of possibly important images you can't get at.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users