Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occasional Redirect or Popup When Logging into Email Account

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 riley45

riley45

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

I own a PC with a Windows XP operating system, and I have a Juno email account.  Occasionally, when I log into my email account on www.juno.com, my Internet Explorer 8 browser redirects to another website or a new browser window opens up and displays an uncalled for website.  This has occurred once per day over the last four days, even though I log into my email account several times per day.  In each of these instances, I have closed the browser window with the uncalled for website, lauched Internet Explorer again, and was able to log into my Juno email account normally without any problems.

The websites to which I was redirected include www.blinkx.com, www.collegehumor.com, and www.amazing4offers.com.  I review of my PC's browsing history log after each of these incidents show a webpage name consisting of the prefix 79444.4046.0. followed by a long string of random characters.

I do not have any other redirect problems on my PC  -- either when accessing websites directly or by performing a Google search and selecting the desired website from the resulting hit list.

After each of the instances described above, I scanned my computer with Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware, and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).  In my first set of scans, Malwarebytes one possibly infected file -- PUP.Optional.OpenCandy which I subsequently deleted -- while both Super Antispyware and MSE found no infected files.  In the scans following the subsequent instances, all three scanning tools found no infected files.

Here is the log file from my first Malwarebytes scan:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.08.16.07

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS (Safe Mode/Networking)
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Owner :: KEN [administrator]

8/17/2013 07:56:18
mbam-log-2013-08-17 (07-56-18).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 312836
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 35 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Real\Update\UpgradeHelper\RealPlayer\10.40\agent\stub_data\stubinst_pkg_en-us.cab (PUP.Optional.OpenCandy) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Hi, riley45! I'm going to try to help you out. :)

Before we get started, here's some things I need you to remember:

• Please don't make any changes to your computer until I'm done helping you, without asking me first! This will make it practically impossible for me to assist you.
  • Please don't run things without asking me first, this will also make it impossible for me to help you.
  • If you're getting help elsewhere, or have already resolved the problem, please let me know so I can close this thread.
  • Please respond to me within five days of me replying to you. If you need more time, please let me know. I will close topics that I have not received a response from within five days.
  • Please be patient with me. I'm a human just like you, so I need some time to analyze your logs and responses so I can correctly help you. I should respond to you within two days, but if I haven't, please send me a PM! I may have missed your response.
  • If something goes wrong, you don't understand something, or you don't know what to do, please stop and ask me before proceeding with any further steps!

Before we can do anything, I need you to run a program called DDS, since need to get more information about your computer. :)

DDS

I need you to run DDS to get some information about your computer.

• Download DDS from here, and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click DDS on your desktop to run it. Ensure the options for dds.txt and attach.txt are checked on the box that appears, and click Start.
  • Once the program is done scanning, copy and paste both reports that open up into your reply, one at a time.

Gunto

Beautiful avatar by Plumbeck!

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

#3 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hi,

It's been more than three days since I posted my last reply, so I am bumping the topic just in case you missed my previous post. If you need more time to get back to me, please let me know, because I don't know otherwise.

If I still haven't heard from you in five days, this topic will be locked, so please get back to me within two days.

Gunto

Beautiful avatar by Plumbeck!

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users