Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SecureAPlus Freemium - Application whitelisting + Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 sinlam

sinlam

Authorized SecureAPlus Rep

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hi guys, I am sinlam, one of the developers from SecureAge Technology. I want to share with you guys a software which our technical team has recently developed, SecureAPlus Freemium. It was soft launched about a month ago. SecureAPlus combines both application whitelisting and antivirus capabilities to protect your computer from known and unknown malware more effectively. It works well with other antivirus software and gives the users the option to use SecureAPlus jointly with their existing antivirus software. You can download the latest version 2.0.18 at https://secureaplus.secureage.com/Main/resource_center.php

SecureAPlus Freemium comes with a one-year free user license. You can join the referral program to extend the license. For every one friend you have invited, you will get an additional 6-months extension of the user license. If you invite up to 6 friends within one year, you will get a perpetual license for free. 

Please feel free to give us as many suggestion as possible on how to further improve SecureAPlus  :)

Cheers! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

Thank you for sharing information about SecureAPlus Freemium. I'm sure some of our members will take advantage of your offer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Sinlam. Are you using your own antivirus engine or incorporating another company's/organization's scanning technology?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Sinlam. I have a question about your product. Since for as long as I can remember we are taught only one active anti-virus. Primarily due to the possibilities of one seeing the others definitions and competing for resources and causing conflicts.

How does your product manage to 'play well with others' so to speak?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Question:

Can I add my own root CA (e.g. not commercial, but selfsigned) to your certificate whitelist?

This way I can also whitelist unsigned programs by signing them myself.

Suggestion:

A function to add rules to reject PE-files with certain types of certificates or signatures. For example, block execution of all PE-files where the signature or a cert in the chain uses MD5.

Meta-suggestion:

Give license extensions to people who provide valuable feature suggestions :wink:

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 sinlam

sinlam

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Thanks Sinlam. Are you using your own antivirus engine or incorporating another company's/organization's scanning technology?

We are currently using ClamAV. I know a lot of people think that ClamAV is not a good av product. But it does have its strength. It can be extremely powerful in detail scanning of documents such as MS Office files and PDF files for malware infection. We are aware that ClamAV can be quite heavy on the resource of a machine and we have done quite an intensive work to minimize it. Based on the feedback from the beta testers and some of the users, we also realize that it is hard to change people's perception of ClamAV. That is why we have given user's the flexibility of installing only the Application Whitelisting component without ClamAV and instead using it jointly with their existing av software. 

#7 sinlam

sinlam

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Sinlam. I have a question about your product. Since for as long as I can remember we are taught only one active anti-virus. Primarily due to the possibilities of one seeing the others definitions and competing for resources and causing conflicts.

How does your product manage to 'play well with others' so to speak?

Good question :)  When we first come up with this product concept, we have kept our users in mind - giving them the flexibility of using SecureAPlus as an added layer of defense without forcing them to uninstall / disable their existing security software. Yes, you are right to say that competing for resources and conflicts are our two greatest challenges when we are developing this software. We have tried to minimize that as far as possible. I must said we have gotten a lot of help based on the advice / feedback from beta testers and some of the users from other forum.

We have tested SecureAPlus with several security software in the market and we have found that the following software works well with SecureAPlus:

• Avast! Antivirus
  • Microsoft Security Essentials
  • Norton Antivirus
  • AVG Antivirus
  • McAfee Antivirus
  • Comodo Antivirus
  • Windows Defender
  • Sandboxie
We are still in the midst of testing its compatibility with other security product.

Hope this answers your query :)

#8 MrCharlie

MrCharlie

• Security Colleague
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

I tried to install SecureAPlus on my XP pro computer and got this message:

Install Is Halted by Windows Logo Test

“The software you are installing for this hardware:

SecureAPlus

has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with windows XP

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for the software that has passed windows logo testing.

Do you want to continue installing the software for this hardware?”

(I stopped the installation)

MrC

#9 sinlam

sinlam

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

Question:

Can I add my own root CA (e.g. not commercial, but selfsigned) to your certificate whitelist?

This way I can also whitelist unsigned programs by signing them myself.

Suggestion:

A function to add rules to reject PE-files with certain types of certificates or signatures. For example, block execution of all PE-files where the signature or a cert in the chain uses MD5.

Meta-suggestion:

Give license extensions to people who provide valuable feature suggestions :wink:

Hi, thank you for your feedback and suggestion. We will consider your suggestion regarding using MD5 :) We will be conducting another round of beta program in a few months' time and we will be giving one free perpetual user license to each and every beta testers. Simply join the beta program if you want a free life-time user license :)

Actually, SecureAPlus digital signature verification follows Windows digital signature verification. This means that as long as Windows trust the signed file, SecureAPlus will trust it too.

In order for SecureAPlus to trust your signed file, you can do the following:

1. Put your cert in Microsoft Certificate Store.

2. Sign your own exe file using this cert.

3. Thereafter, you can verify whether Windows trust your signed file. Right-click on the exe file and then select "Properties" from the drop-down menu.

saplus_cert1.png

4. Click on "Digital Signatures" tab and then click on "Details" button.

saplus_cert2.png

5. If the digital signature of the file is trusted, you will see the status as "This digital signature is OK."

saplus_cert3.png

After verifying the digital certificate, you can then add this into SecureAPlus Trusted Certificate List by doing the following:

1. Launch SecureAPlus application and then click on "Application Whitelisting" button.

saplus_cert4.png

2. Click on the "Advanced Settings" button. 

saplus_cert5.png

3. Click on the "Trusted Certificate" tab. Here you will see a list of Trusted Certificates. Those program whose cert is in this list will be trusted automatically. To add new ones, click on the "Add" button.

saplus_cert6.png

4. Click on "From file..." button.

saplus_cert7.png

5. Select your exe file which you want to add its certificate to the Trusted List. Then click on the "Open" button.

saplus_cert8.png

6. You can see the certificate details. Then click on the "OK" button to add its cert. SecureAPlus will automatically extract the cert of the exe file and added it into the Trusted List.

saplus_cert9.png

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, please feel free to post further query :)

#10 sinlam

sinlam

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

I tried to install SecureAPlus on my XP pro computer and got this message:

Install Is Halted by Windows Logo Test

“The software you are installing for this hardware:

SecureAPlus

has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with windows XP

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for the software that has passed windows logo testing.

Do you want to continue installing the software for this hardware?”

(I stopped the installation)

MrC

\
Hi MrC,

This problem is faced by most XP users when they try to install some of the antivirus software (for your reference: http://goo.gl/CbfDi2). So when you want to install SecureAPlus and is prompted by this message, simply click on "Continue Anyway" button to proceed with the installation.

install_xp.png

If you don't feel comfortable to proceed with the installation, you may consider installing only SecureAPlus Application Whitelisting component if you already have an existing antivirus on your machine. At SecureAPlus Installer, simply uncheck the "Antivirus" option. By doing this, you will not be prompted by the above Windows Warning message.

no_av.png

If you need further clarification, please feel free to post it here :)

Edited by sinlam, 23 August 2013 - 04:41 AM.

#11 MrCharlie

MrCharlie

• Security Colleague
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

@sinlam, Thanks..I'll give that a try, MrC

#12 sinlam

sinlam

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hi guys, if you face any  problem while installing or using SecureAPlus, please feel free to post your comment here :)

#13 sinlam

sinlam

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hi guys, we have just released version 2.0.19. 

In this version, we have resolved the blue screen problem when Microsoft Security Essential is scanning the page file. 

We have also added in a new context menu with two application whitelisting options, "Interactive Mode" and "Lockdown Mode". You can do a right-mouse click to view it. 

release_v2.0.19_1.png

If you select "Interactive Mode", SecureAPlus will prompt you whether to trust a program when it is not found in the trusted list. 

Alternatively, you can choose "Lockdown Mode" if you want the untrusted file to be blocked automatically without any prompting. But please bear in mind that when you want to install any program that is not found in the trusted list, you have to trust it as an installer first. Otherwise, the installer will not be able to run. 

release_v2.0.19_5.png

You can download version 2.0.19 or view the latest release note at https://secureaplus.secureage.com/Main/release.php. Please feel free to give us any feedback  :)

Cheers,
sinlam

#14 sinlam

sinlam

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hi guys,

We are pleased to announce the release of SecureAPlus Version 2.0.20.  

Here are some of the changes: 
1. The "Do not ask what to do when dealing with untrusted file" option is removed from the Application Whitelisting Advanced Settings. You can chooose this feature, which is now known as "Lockdown Mode", from the context menu of SecureAPlus tray icon.

2. Trust all mode is added to the context menu of SecureAPlus tray icon.

3. Two speed options, Fast and Slow, are now available for the background initial whitelisting. The current default setting is Slow.

4. You can now import whitelist database in the small setup file, "SecureAPlusSetup.exe" too. The steps to do it is the same as the big setup file. Please refer to SecureAPlus Installation Guide for more information.

5. If the installer detects a whitelist database file, it will prompt the user whether to import whitelist database.

You can visit https://secureaplus.secureage.com/Main/release.php to view the latest changelog. 

If you have any feedback or comment, please feel free to post it in this forum or email us at secureaplus@secureage.com.

Cheers,
sinlam

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for the update.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018