Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with a Dell XPS L502X Laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

I have a customer bring me a Dell XPS L502X laptop that wouldn't start.  I checked everything and still could not get any response.  I've removed everything including the motherboard.  I learned from the customer that the daughter spilled a liquid makeup onto the computer.  I can see a little residue on the vent but after examining the rest of the computer I can't find any other place where there is any residual from the makeup.

My thought is to take each of the parts of the computer and clean with distilled water using a cotton swab..  I also want to clean any and all contacts that I can.  I can use isopropal alcohol for that.

After that I will let it thoroughly dry for 48 hours.

Is there any other suggestions on what I might try to do to save this computer.  A refurbished motherboard is over $200.00.  With me getting something for the time I've spent the customer will have easily over $300.00 into the computer.  It is a top of the line Dell with 6 gigs of Ram and a 750 gig hard drive.  the processor is an i5 Quad Core.  I can only get a 90 day warranty on the motherboard should I replace it.  My thinking is that my client could go out and buy a new computer almost as cheap as repairing this if I have to replace the motherboard.

Thanks for all ideas on how I might proceed.

Replacing the motherboard just doesn't seem to be a viable option.

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2013 - 12:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

I learned from the customer that the daughter spilled a liquid makeup onto the computer.

OK - I do not have any good advice, just my "practical view" on this

Start with ""it is the customers fault for spilling liquid on it"" not your fault.

So you try to clean the spill, but now each component needs testing to see if anything shorted out with the spill.

This is an electrical unit, and not a static unit that can just be cleaned, like an empty case.

I should not need to tell you this, but you need to tell the customer what happens with liquid and electrical components.

You will understand what I am trying to say, and this is for you to tell the client -

I sit here drinking a coffee, but if I spill it into the laptop, any number of components may be shorted or blown .....

Only cleaning up would not be enough to fix everything.

Just my take on your situation -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users