Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modified vs. Created

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

Could someone explain how a file can be modified before it is created? Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Marth_01

Marth_01

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

The file modified and created dates are simply an additional text string included in the file.  Upon being created the file should have the created date set and when saved should have the modified date updated.  It is easy for a user to manipulate these values if they really wanted to.  Also, many programs may not include the functions to update this information.  If you are using something like Microsoft Word, it should for the most part keep track of a document, but if you open it with any other 3rd party software it could mess up those values.

I wouldn't worry about the dates too much anyway, as they are only somewhat reliable.

Example of a program that can manually change Created/Modified/Accessed dates: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/filedatech.html

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

As explained here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/build-your-skills-learn-to-manipulate-file-time-stamps-in-windows/

It is possible that the act of moving a file can cause creation dates after modification dates.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

I will see if I can give you guys a few examples and maybe you can tell me if they are normal. Thanks for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users