Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing or corrupt system driver pci.sys

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 82_bleepingirl

82_bleepingirl

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Resently I  was given an old ''Dell Dimension 2400'' purchased back in 2003, without the origonal xp disk to reformat or restore. I didn't care because I have a ' w7 32 bit ' I was planning on putting on it, if it ran well. I cleaned it up, ran all the updates and put more ram in it.. it ran great...for two weeks. It has both a cd and dvd drives and has a pentium 4 processor.

Now when I boot up it says - windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system 32\drivers\pci.sys - you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows using the original setup cd-rom. select ' r ' at the first screen to start repair.

Googling I found that this computer has xp partitioned on the hard drive and it came  two disks called "recovery" and  "resource" to be used when you need to repair or want to restore instead of coming with a wxp disk so one could reformat.

Does anyone know how I can fix the missing file issue?

So far what I have tried is, I bought a  '' automatic drivers recovery for dell dimension 2400'' disk. It did nothing.

Edited by 82_bleepingirl, 20 August 2013 - 05:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

If you can I would suggest that you run chkdsk /r, this will repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information.

Click on Start, click on Run and type cmd in the box and press Enter.  

You will see an image similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in or copy and paste chkdsk /r

You will get the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.  Would you like to shcedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  (Y/N)

Press the Y key, then press Enter

Restart your computer to run the scan.  This has five sections and will take some time.  Please don't try to use your computer while this scan is running.

There is a file titled i386 which contains a copy of the pci.sys file that you can overwrite the corrupted one with.  

You will need to go to Start, then click on Run.  Then copy and paste the appropriate command below.

If this computer does not have SP3  copy and paste this in the Run box, press Enter    copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\pci.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

When you are asked if you want to overwrite the existing file respond in the affirmative, you should get the message 1 file(s) was copied.

If this computer does have SP3 copy and paste this in the Run box, press Enter   copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\pci.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers 

When you are asked if you want to overwrite the existing file respond in the affirmative, you should get the message 1 file(s) was copied.

Edited by dc3, 21 August 2013 - 08:34 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 82_bleepingirl

82_bleepingirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Thank you for your reply.. I could not get into windows at all..  so this morning I tried installing ubuntu... It went all the way through the process and I thought it had installed.. after rebooting, all it would do is use the disk as a live cd... so all it did, as far as I can tell is uninstall xp. But I can use it as I said, as a live cd..any idea how I can get it to actually install ubuntu or another linux? I have several I've burned over time.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

There is a good tutorial for using Ubuntu to recover data from Windows, you can find it here.

I have made a short tutorial for downloading Ubuntu and burning it to a disc using ImgBurn.  I find it easier to follow than the explanation in the other tutorial.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  To do this please download ImgBurn.

When you open ImgBurn you will see a screen image like the one below.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on Write image file to disc outlined in red.

The next screen image will be like the one below.

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Click on the icon of the folder and magnifing glass outlined in red to the right of Source to locate the Ubuntu ISO file.  Place a CD in the optic drive and click Burn.

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and make your CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

Edited by dc3, 22 August 2013 - 12:53 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Thank you for your reply.. I could not get into windows at all..  so this morning I tried installing ubuntu... It went all the way through the process and I thought it had installed.. after rebooting, all it would do is use the disk as a live cd... so all it did, as far as I can tell is uninstall xp. But I can use it as I said, as a live cd..any idea how I can get it to actually install ubuntu or another linux? I have several I've burned over time.

Hi,

AFAIK you can run the Install program on the desktop of the Live CD to install ubuntu on the HDD.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users