Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COM over IP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Well here's the deal, I have a network with VPN connections to our remote locations.  We have gas pumps at a few of those locations and currently we have to use a dial up modem to pull transaction data from the pumps.  I am looking into setting up COM port to IP converters (I have a few currently) so that we can just pull the data through the VPN.  I am using Lantronix UDS1100 devices and can connect two of them together in the same location network.  I have one set up at the remote location and can get to it through a web browser to the config page but cannot connect the two devices.  I am also looking into using Lantronix's CPR program (COM port redirector) to hit the location UDS directly and mount it as a com port but no luck.  It is acting like there is a firewall in the way but I have opened the ports that it is looking for.  My network is set up with a Sonicwall tz200 at the main location and a Sonicwall tz100 at the remote locations.  Any ideas on what I can try to get this to work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

OK so I solved the problem.  Had nothing to do with the network, there is a setting on the device that specifies the local and remote ports.  The manual says to leave the remote port at 0 and set the local to 10001, bullcrap.  Set both to 10001 and all is well.  Now does anyone have any ideas how to put your hair back in after you pull it out?????

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for the solution. As for the hair, I just keep mine to short to pull out :)

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 peachyrose

peachyrose

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

OK so I solved the problem.  Had nothing to do with the network, there is a setting on the device that specifies the local and remote ports.  The manual says to leave the remote port at 0 and set the local to 10001, bullcrap.  Set both to 10001 and all is well.  Now does anyone have any ideas how to put your hair back in after you pull it out?????

Well good for you then for sorting it out for yourself and keep us posted on the prob with the VPN's and remote connections and the solution itself, of which we will able to learn from your post. With regards to hair being pull out, then lucky mine is short too; so no worries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users