Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&D TeaTimer vs. Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 primary1

primary1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Spybot S&D TeaTimer vs. Malwarebytes

I am unfamilar with Malwarebytes. Does it feature a trojan/virus blocker like Spybot S&D's TeaTimer?

Any examples? I would like to get comparative opinions of the effectiveness of one and the other.

Thanks for any feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Protection Module in the full version uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious. More information about IP Protection can be found in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Malicious Website Blocking FAQs.

Malicious Website Blocking do?
Malicious Website Blocking provides an additional layer of security for your computer, by preventing access to known malicious IP addresses and IP ranges...

What does this notification mean?
This notification means quite simply, that an IP address has been blocked. It does NOT necessarily mean you are infected, it simply means a program on your computer (e.g. your browser, IM program, P2P program etc), tried accessing a malicious IP address...

Other FAQs about Malicious Website Blocking
How does it do this?
How does it inform you?
I got an alert and I wasn't even surfing, how's that happen?
I received a notification on a safe site, why?
How do I disable this?
I got an alert for an IP or website I think is safe, how can I report it?
Does the Malicious Website Blocking replace my firewall?
Where do I find the Malicious Website Blocking logs?
How can I add an IP so it won't be detected and can access a site I need to?[/b]

Those who purchase the full version receive a license key via email to activate the protection module. The license includes a lifetime of free upgrades and support. For corporate and business customers, annual licenses are required. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

Note: A 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO is available as an option when first installing the free version so all users can test the real-time protection component for a period of two weeks. When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner. Users who have previously completed the trial will not be prompted to start the trial upon upgrade or reinstallation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 primary1

primary1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

"TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes"             

Did not seem too hard. My attitude is that, unless I had requested a change, an unsolicited change should be denied.

Website blocking. I am sure there are known heavy offenders and that strategy is better than nothing. Kind of like subscribing to the FTC "Do Not Call List".

Another question:
Since neither Malwarebytes or SB-SD are considered "anti-virus", do you have a recommendation for a bug and spyware free anti-virus?

Thanks for the reply and info.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is single no best anti-virus. Please see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users