Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PFC Bradley Manning fighting for his life

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Yes, it is time for the Wikileaks cohort to be sentenced in military court. Looks like his defense is using some sort of mental disturbance leverage and a 25 year limitation. The prosecution is demanding 60 years confinement. To me, the U.S. Government is demanding the right to compromise individual privacy, but is in denial about its own privacy.  i.e. they can dish out the snooping, but can't absorb it themselves. And what in the Hotel was an enlisted youngster doing in that position to access this sensitive information in the fiirst place?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/19/bradley-manning-wikileaks/2674457/

Edited by Andrew, 20 August 2013 - 03:57 PM.
Mod edit: Moved from Geneal Chat to Speak Easy due to potential for strenuous debate - AA

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

I hope I have made my views pretty clear on the topic of our private information being accessing (here and other threads). Agree on that point.

It is difficult to sort through the details of the story (don’t think the Manning's supporters ‘frowning’ in the courtroom is relevant).  More than anything else, the defense is right about his mental state. IMO, he should not have been serving in the role of intelligence analyst with top-secret security clearance. and that is concerning.  I don’t think there will be any responsibility placed other than on Manning, and 25 or 60, he will be in prison for a long time. 

#3 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yes, that is a very valid point, if this was such sensitive information that peoples lives and national security were in the balance, who was the commanding officer in this mess? why does this youngster have to take the fall all by himself? it is difficult to comprehend that an entry level enlisted person could have accessed such important information all by himself in the first place. 

Edited by synergy513, 20 August 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Just like combat the youngest and most vulnerable are at the tip of the spear. Intelligence gathering is no different. The youngest and lowest echelon service members are the ones looking for the needles in the haystacks. Then they are responsible to categorize and collate that information for the senior service members to process. So yeah, the lowest ranking members have access to the highest levels of intelligence material.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:31 AM

oh yes, thanks for the enlightenment Animal, now that jogged my memory of a similar case back in the 1980s. The U.S. Navy was seriously breached by a lowly enlisted guy, i think his last name was Walker. I think he had an accomplice too, maybe his dad or something. I think that guy is up for realease sometime in the near future. Judging by how serious it was, right in the middle of the Cold War Rage, i was surprised that he wasn't handed capital punishment like the Rosenbergs.

#6 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Looks like Manning is handed 35 years and wants to live as a woman named Chelsea on hormone therapy..

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

The case you're thinking of is Naval CWO John Anthony Walker, Jr. Started spying for Soviets in 1968 and caught in 1985.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

yes, that is the story. i thought the son was a bigger player in the ring, apparently not. That was serious damage done over a span of years.

Edited by synergy513, 22 August 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#9 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

insert gender here - Manning must have some crafty attorneys to be publicizing this so soon.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Manning-seeks-US-presidential-pardon-in-leaks-case/articleshow/22295094.cms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users