Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enhance My Computer..

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

Hello,
I would like to know if I could make my computer work slightly better? My system specs are below and I have EVEREST if you would like a report just ask. :thumbsup:

System Specs:

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 541, 3233 MHz (16 x 202)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8IP775(-G) (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865P
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (09/02/04)

Display:
Video Adapter RADEON X700 PRO Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON X700 PRO (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon X700 Pro (RV410)
Monitor Philips 190S (190S6) [19" LCD] (BZ 129256)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

Thank You! :flowers:
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

I would like to know if I could make my computer work slightly better?

Define 'better' for us.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

At the begining of this thread is an article that might be of use

Pinned: Slow Computer?
Use this troubleshooting checklist

OSme of the things in here are good for speeding up a computer. Give them a try

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:56 PM

What is the default speed of the processor before you overclocked it? 3.2?

What size have you set your pagefile for and do you have a slave drive (that you can move the page file to instead of having it remain on your primary hard drive?

Your mb supports hyperthreading. Your processor is ht and therefore is your ram placement set up for it? What is the configuration of your ram and what slots is it installed in? Are the ram sticks identical (specs and manufacturer)

You can use sata drives which are faster.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 April 2006 - 12:02 AM.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:36 AM

One other thing that will make your computer run faster is to get a video card with 512 Mb ram on it. The more Ram the faster your computer will run because the refresh rate will be a lot faster therefore cutting down on processor work time. The cost of this card should be around $500.00 approximately.

I have a question and I hope you do not take this the wrong way because your query's answer has so many options for reply that this will drive you up a tree, and the question is. Does your computer do what you want properly and work well? If the answer is YES there is an old saying. If it ain't broke do not mess with it."

There are hundreds of things you can do to your computer to make it faster but the number one thing is do regular system maintenance like defrag the drives, run anti-virus and anti-malware programs and the such makes any machine run faster. Tweaking your computer is something that takes time and patience and can not be done all at one time unless you have an unlimited budget.

The post I first sent you had a tutorial from this thread in it and this would be an excellent place to start.

Have a good day.

#6 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

Hello Guys
Thanks for time in replying!

Ablert Frankstein: Better benn define can be lead many ways, just a bit faster or quicker in any way possible would be nice.

ThorXP: Reading it right now..

Enthusiast: Tried overclocking once but didn't have much knowledge on computers then, so didn't proceed. My Page file is currently at 2GB Pagefile Space, and well I do have two HDD one 20GB Primary has WINDOWs in it and other 180GB used for programs and such. My Rams are identical and I will look into the slots question in a moment.

ThorXP: Video Card...Would love to get an upgrade but the PC itself is only 4 months old and dont really have the option of spending $500 on a video card. And to your question the answer the Yes and NO, Why yes? Well it is up to my expectations runs good and all but then again anything and everything can be better right? So I would like to keeping tweaking to itz limit when it can go no more I will buy more advanced items, that was my plan.

PS: My computer is Malware-Free However I did post another HJT just to be sure.

Thanks
Posted Image

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

Ablert Frankstein: Better benn define can be lead many ways, just a bit faster or quicker in any way possible would be nice.

I figured that was what you meant, but then again, I have heard 'better' meaning lots of different things. When it comes to computer, specifically, it could mean 'more able to run a program' or it could mean 'be faster on the internet' or it could mean 'boot up faster', and on and on. All of which would get a different response.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 24 April 2006 - 07:21 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:43 PM

Well, there are ways of improving the speed of a computer. Most of the things you do cost more bucks than they are worth, but here is a list of some ways.

1 - If your computer has an on board video card (this is one that is built as part of the motherboard) You can purchase another video card with Ram that matches what is already in the system Example if you system Ram is DDR you get a video card with DDR Ram, I would suggest for the average user about 128 Mb Ram S/B enough and the cost SS/B around $100.00 or just a bit less.

2. More Ram for the motherboard about 512 Mb cost around $100.00.

3 - A larger hard drive. I have seen 250 GB around $90.00 per drive for White Label = Generic

4 - There are other things but right now we are at $290.00 and you have to include tax = more cost.

The easy way to keep your computer running better is to do system maintenance on it. Like defrag the hard drive and run the anti - spyware type programs to keep it clean. Get all of the upgrades possible from Microsoft and other manufacturers to keep your system running like a charm.

I am not trying to be a bummer or anything like that but getting your system to run faster can be quite expensive, one more example Over Clocking the processor, One goof and there goes the processor and heaven knows what else. Go check the price of your processor at your local computer guru.

I think I have explained enough. I was not joking about the $500.00 Video card as a matter of fact there are more expensive one's out there.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:37 PM

I am assuming you are not a gamer. Is that true?

If you are not a gamer you want to set your computer to place a priority on programs.

To do that, go to control panel/system
click the advanced button
Click the settings button in "performance".

Put a tick in "adjust for best performance"

Click the "advanced tab"

Tic the programs button in "adjust for best performance"
(so it adjusts for best performance for running programs rather than cashe)

In "Virtual Memory" (page file)
adjust it so there is no page file in the "C" (primary) drive
adjust it so there is about 1500 (on the low side) and 2500 (on the high side) on your second hard drive - the slave drive.

Click apply or ok, whichever is appropriate to save and close the boxes.

Shut down the computer.
Look up the proper placement of RAM on your motherboard for hyperthreading. Place your Ram appropriately and when you are booting up, go into the bios settings and make sure hyperthreading is enabled.

Once it is this will look like dual processors to Windows making your computer able to handle more tasks at the same time faster.

Boot into Windows and enjoy.

That is a free enhancement.

It would also be beneficial to have all your data saved on your slave rather than on your primary drive. That will cut down on fragmentation of the drive the op system is on. You set that through each program that stores user data.

You can duplicate the "My Documents", Pics, etc trees on the slave drive, and once you set the settings in your programs to save to there (just as they would to their appropriate folder on the "C" drive, you can move your current data there as well. Less fragmentation and less in and out data will make your "C" drive faster.

Another free enhancement!

Are you using Firefox? And do you have broadband?

If you do (or if you do not have Firefox get it!), download and install the extension named "Fasterfox". It is adjustable and will make pages load quicker...

"Fasterfox allows you to tweak many network and rendering settings such as (multiple) simultaneous connections, pipelining, cache, DNS cache, and initial paint delay.
Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with the unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing.
A popup blocker for popups initiated by Flash plug-ins is also included."

#10 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:17 AM

Thanks

Albert: I get what you mean, I supposed speed of user reaction and internet speeds mainly.

ThorXP: Thank you for the information, I will check the local store for some upgrades and prices.

Enthusiast: Unfortunately I am a gamer, Yes do play games every now and then, more often than not. I test games and write some reviews been a hobby of mine. I changed the pagefile to D: 1500MB-2500MB and disabled it on C: and I am afraid I dont get you me by ' Place your Ram appropriately' I have using Fasterfox for about 3 weeks and it is a very nice addon.

Edited by Professional, 25 April 2006 - 12:19 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:24 AM

To utilize hyperthreading the RAM placement is critical and in many if not all motherboards is not in consecutive slots (unless you have all the slots in use, and even in that case the matching RAM must be placed properly if you have two different sizes of Ram sticks).

For example, mine which is a Gigabite instructed me to place the Ram in slot 1 and 3, so I have matching 512 in 1 and 3 and matching 256 in 2 and 4. Yours may or may not be the same, but look in your motherboard user manual or look it up at their support site online.

If you are a gamer you really don't want to be running many aps while you're gaming so set XP's priorities accordingly.

I am not a gamer, but I usually have several copies of Firefox running at a time and one or two copies of Word, as well as Adobe Viewer (if I run into a need for it), etc.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 April 2006 - 01:29 AM.

#12 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

Sorrry for the delay,
I cant really open up my CPU, If I do I would loose the warranty (The sticker prevents me from opening it)
Posted Image

#13 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

If you have a sticker that says if broken warranty is void then you must still have a warranty on the computer. I do not want to sound like a nasty person but if you have a waranty why not use it? That is what warranties are for.

#14 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:25 PM

Yeah it says something about warranty void if sseal broken, but warranties are to be used when your computer stuffs up right? Not for upgrades?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users