Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Misconception

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

We are indoctrinated by Hollywood and official proclamations that "The good guy always wins". It seems to be a Western religion or pattern of idealistic existence..

But does he ? The answer is NO of course he doesn't, but the acceptance of this irritating contradiction to our infatuation with good always triumphs over bad seems to  rock our simple minded boat.

Why does this irrational obsession that the winner must always be the good guy dominate our otherwise rational  thinking ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lulucomer

lulucomer

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Aww now Yabba,

Just cause a "bad guy" :devil: might have a few more material fancy doodads don't mean he's won diddley squat ! It just means he's got fancy doodads. If you get something in this life by being bad, you gotta look over your shoulder :police: , well, for the rest of your life! Now how can that be considered winnin? On the other hand if ya win fair and square the only thing you gotta look over your shoulder for, is that person who just patted your back for winnin :clapping: (the good and just way) wiped that there bbq sauce off their hands first!

Now what better feelin could there ever be then knowin in your heart(and soul for some of us faith lovin kind) that even if you don't have the fanciest stuff cause you did your best, what you do have was earned the "Right" or in this case the "Good" way! Ahhh ain't life grand ! Yep it surely is in LuLu Land!(Exceptin for a few aliens that pop in once in awhile :alien: :alien2:) Come on over to the Beautiful Ozarks and see for yourself sometime, sir !!  Not that your homeland ain't got it's finer points, I'm sure. I've seen it on all those travlin shows, mighty fine lookin country, sir!

Your Friendly Hillbilly,

LuLu :guitar:

#3 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hello yabba

Actually, I've noticed the past 10 years or so that bad guys are starting to be the heroes a little more and more in Hollywood.

One example that comes to mind is the TV series Dexter. I have only seen one season, but it's Ironic that you find yourself rooting for this guy to win. 

His character is a serial killer, his father was a serial killer. It seems a few movies are getting to do this too, but I haven't seen many lately.

I personally, have always enjoyed a good, bad vs good movie.

I'm trying to remember an old saying that went something like.

"Evil reigns - when good men do nothing." 

anyway, it rocks my simple minded boat too.

E

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hello Enrique,

Thanks for the post.

"anyway, it rocks my simple minded boat too."

You're no simple minded guy, you're a clear thinker.

It is Hollywood and their followers that are simple minded. "The good guy must always win", otherwise the kiddy-winks get bad ideas.  That is what makes movies.

Yabba

#5 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hollywood makes whatever will sell.  If Joe Shmo movie goer would rather see the good guy win then that is what will happen in the movies, if he would rather the bad guy win that is what will happen.  As for real life you would have to ask yourself what is winning?  As Lulu said if you think lookin over your shoulder your whole life while you have the fancy stuff is winning then yep the bad guy wins a lot.  If you look at the short term contest(whatever situation that has a winner) as being over when the prize is given then yeah the bad guy wins a lot.  If you look at the long term (eternal point of view for some of us) then in the end the bad guy always looses.  As for the simple minded, some will believe whatever is put in front of them long enough.  Hollywood has been saying that the good guy always wins for so long that most people have started to believe is must be true.  To put my religious two cents in cause I like to quote the bible any time it applies, in Matthew 5:45 

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

That about sums it up that the good and the bad have good days.  In reality the reason it seems that the bad guys get all the breaks is because they tend to be willing to do anything they have to do to get that break.  That does not mean it is going to be evil but it will likely not be ethical, moral, or the best thing to do in the interest of everyone.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Since the OP cannot contribute further to this topic, it is now closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users