Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My intro...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KarenRae1067

KarenRae1067

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:52 AM

Hi everyone, my name is Karen. I am obviously new to bleepingcomputers.com, however I have had some great success in the past using them in help with infected/troubled computers. I am not a computer expert to say the least, but I have taken many computer classes in college...everything from Windows to desktop publishing to Information technology to Microsoft certification classes, including networking Infrastructure.  But to be honest a lot of the latter really went over my head and I have found that I've learned the most about computers by simple hands on, trial-and-error, and believe it or not...common sense. I've always enjoyed computers, as well as fixing them and especially building them from bare bones, and I think the reason I've actually been so successful at it is because I will only fix or do or change what I know how to and not mess with what I know is out of my league. 

Anyway, since I have come to trust this website and the information I have gotten from it, it's actually reassuring to know it's here with the tremendous amount of other sites, etc. on the web that you can't trust...and what's really scary is how they've found ways to create fake websites, updates, and the like that simulate usually known trusted sites (i.e. Microsoft, Adobe, Java, etc) so now we even have to double check them...One example is how I've for years used and trusted Spybot, but just recently my roommate's computer got infected from I guess it's tea timer live update or program or whatever it is, called SDHookHelper.exe.  My point being that I guess they figured out how to hack into Spybot too??

Long story short ha ha...I'm glad to now officially be a part of your community and look forward to your much needed advise and guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

Hello Karen and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

I suspect, given how you've come about learning & working on computers, you're going to find a lot of good people with the same type of experience and experiences.

That's the beauty of this place.

And as for all the fake / bad websites out there...yeah, it's not good.  :thumbdown:

Was helping my Mother-in-Law the other night (remotely) and trying to uninstall/reinstall Adobe's Shockwave Player and when I did a quick search for the correct / genuine place to download it, the first six websites that came up in my search were bogus / non-Adobe sites with names designed to fool people (i.e. GetAdobeDownloads dot com, etc).

It irritates me to no end and causes a lot of grief for so many people.

But, that's why we're here and that's why Bleeping is such a great resource and community.

Again, welcome and have a great day.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users