Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown update notice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RRguy

RRguy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

I have been having update notices popping up at the lower right corner of my puter.  These have been offered for several programs that I have installed.  I don't mind being notified, but I don't know wich program is generating these alerts.  I don't like to responding to unknown programs.  I have been unsuccessful in determining where these alerts are coming from.

updatealert_zps0dbafa6c.pngupdatealert4_zpsf2664296.png

I have Secunia PSI, WinPatrol, and Spybot S&D 2 among others.  I can't tell if it is coming from one of these or not.  If a program is giving me these alerts, the name should be shown on the popup.  Hopefully, someone here will recognize these messages or suggest how I can find out where they are coming from.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

Spybot S&D 2 will not offer a great deal of help these days (delete and install a decent free Antivirus), and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (aka MBAM) with SUPERAntiSpyware Free (aka SAS) -

These look like they could be Secunia PSI, or FileHippo update warnings, (depending on your version).

Have you checked for updates on PSI (or similar) to see if there is an update needed ?

If it is not from one of these programs, it may be a minor infection -

Post back after you check Secunia PSI for update rating, and include your Antivirus program -

Thank You -

EDIT - Revo is currently 1.95 not 1.9.5 so all seems to be a bit wrong ...................

Edited by noknojon, 20 August 2013 - 04:20 AM.

#3 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

PSI shows all programs up to date for a score of 100%.  My AV is Microsoft Security Essentials.  My antimalware programs are  S&D 2, MalwareBytes & SuperAntiSpyware along with some antirootkit programs.  Most of the security & maintenance programs I use can be found in the downloads here.

I clicked on the settings button next to the close button to see if I could get any info, and all I got is this.

updatealert5_zps6e5d0ef5.jpg

I didn't want to uncheck the "Enable" box because the alert is my only indication of the offender.

BTW I'm beginning to agree about S&D.  It seems to have gotten awfully bloated.

Edited by RRguy, 21 August 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#4 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

It's been about five months since the last reply to this topic.  I discovered a program on my PC last night which, through a Google search, is described as displaying similar behavior to that I am experiencing.  It is "tsassist.exe."  I found info at

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/false-message-to-update-software/c3a4544a-fc34-4ddd-b5f7-9bbb26ce9f04

which had a link to removal instructions here.

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-19411_102-5474969.html

It said to uninstall "File Type Assistant" in Control Panel and then, in regedit, to delete every instance of tsassist.exe.  I uninstalled the program using Revo Uninstaller and then deleted every registry key I could find which included the name tsassist.exe.  It's been almost 24 hours, and I haven't gotten any more of these alerts so far.  It has been very frustrating.  I hope I have seen the last of this usless program.  I don't even know where I got it.

Hopefully others can benefit from my eperience.  Thanks for the help.

Edited by RRguy, 20 January 2014 - 02:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users