Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

United Flight 93

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: The Movie (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you go to see it?

1. YES (8 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. NO (8 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Does the idea of this movie bother you?

1. YES (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. NO (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

Is it to soon / fair to the families?

1. YES (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. NO (12 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

I feel it is a good time for this. It will help us remember these fine People. It will reawaken America that they still want to harm us. I will go see it. I feel it will help the families as all who see it should come away with a better respect for those people and ouselves.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:59 PM

Ditto what boopme said.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:46 PM

Idk, i see it as "exploit an emotional event in america's history to gain a profit". How many specials on tv have they had regarding the passengers on that flight, and what they've done? How many specials have they had on 9/11 alone? It seems the producers care less about "opening people's eyes" and more about "making money from people that are sympathetic/empathetic".

But that's just me. I see "the passion" as the same sort of film.

BTW: The last poll question is oddly worded. You either vote "It's not to soon and it's no fair to the families" or "it IS too soon but it IS fair to the families".... reminds me of a mitch hedberg gag "i took a yes or no survey the other day for a job interview, and one of the questions was 'Have you ever tried sugar, or PCP?'"

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

OK, So to clarify a bit. Unfortunately can't edit poll.
Is it to soon, ... YES, it's release is unfair to the families
NO, it is not to soon, enough time has passed to be repectful of the families. Hence, release is OK..

Edited by boopme, 23 April 2006 - 01:03 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Baurge

Baurge

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:33 PM

I'm questionable about the film as well. I think it's great to take a look at the sacrafice these people made but I kinda see if as Heretic does...it seems like they're playing off what they did for profit.

That and my only other problem with it is that no one truly knows what happened. They don't know how mnay people did, who did it, or what exactly they did. We know that they must have been something that caused the plan to crash and most likely from what information we do know we are positive that is was caused by the passangers but that is all. I think the best we can do for the people that made that sacrafice is instead of depicting them in a movie; we should make sure that an event like this never happens again. Learn from our mistakes and move on to making everything a better and safer place to live in.

Sorry if you disagree with me but that just how i feel about it.
Everything no matter how great will come to an end.....

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:05 PM

I will go see it. In fact I don't see any harm in it. And to all the people will flame saying "the families will probably feel bad or emotional hurt," well the movie producers contacted the families prior to the movie and all the families agreed that the movie was seen as proper.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:33 PM

Personally I dont like the idea of this movie. It would be one thing if the profits of the film went to the families, but I doubt that it is the case.

I personally do not like people profiting off the bad events of others.

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:40 PM

A pecentage of the profits (10%?) from the movie is earmarked for the Pennsylvania Memorial.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#9 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:54 AM

I have no particular problem with the movie as long as it is accurate to the veents that happened, otherwise it should be stated fictionalised.

All movies are profit orientated, fact of life. Im sure somone will pull som obscure movie made in tibet that isnt profit based but i repeat if the movie isnt "over hollywoodised" (i kno thats not a word) i think there is no harm in it.

Brian

Edited by snyper, 26 April 2006 - 05:55 AM.

#10 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:44 AM

I feel this movie is like a reenactment. I feel it should be witnessed by the public exactly as when the event itself happened. When 9/11 happened we couldn't turn away from what we were seeing. I felt like I couldn't watch anymore and I cried alot but when something like this happens you have to witness it, for them, for what they died for.. or survived. It's like a testament.. sort of.. IMHO

I voted Yes I would go to see United Flight 93
I voted Yes The IDEA of the movie does bother me, but only for the fact that all of what happened on 9/11 bothers me, still.
I voted NO I do not feel this movie was released too soon.

As for the monetary factor. Maybe the families were recompensed beforehand. One can only hope so that they were given a good percentage. Seems as tho the families would have to sign off on the story but I am not really sure.

Edited by Pandy, 26 April 2006 - 06:46 AM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:55 AM

May They Rest In Peace

Posted Image

The Crew of Flight 93
Lorraine Bay
Sandra Bradshaw
Jason Dahl
Wanda Green
LeRoy Homer, Jr.
CeeCee Lyles
Deborah A. Jacobs Welsh

The Passengers of Flight 93
Christian Adams
Todd Beamer
Alan Beaven
Mark Bingham
Deora Bodley
Marion Britton
Thomas E. Burnett, Jr.
William Cashman
Georgine Rose Corrigan
Patricia Cushing
Joseph DeLuca
Patrick "Joe" Driscoll
Edward Porter Felt
Jane Folger
Colleen L. Fraser
Andrew Garcia
Jeremy Glick
Lauren Grandcolas
Donald F. Greene
Linda Gronlund
Richard Guadagno
Toshiya Kuge
Hilda Marcin
Waleska Martinez
Nicole Carol Miller
Louis J. Nacke, II
Donald A. Peterson
Jean Peterson
Mark "Mickey" Rothenberg
Christine Snyder
John Talignani
Honor Elizabeth Wainio
Kristin White Gould

May God Bless the heroes of Flight 93, and thier surviving families.

I will view "Flight 93". From what I understand the families support this film. And that is good enough for me.
It is of the utmost importance that the American people do not EVER forget 9-11. We should draw strength from that tragic day. God Bless America!

Edited by Scarlett, 26 April 2006 - 08:58 AM.

Posted Image

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:49 PM

I went to see the movie in Manhattan the other night. As I was driving there I saw the usual sights of the Hudson River I see every day. As I approached the area where the towers once stood, I stopped for a moment. I got out and looked across the River as I did on 9/11 and remembered what I watched that day. I found myself,in a daze looking up river waiting for that plane to fly by. Oddly enough I awoke to that thought I had at that time. "My God ! this is a terrorist attack. I need to get my son from school." What do I do to help?" That was my first thought that day. After getting my boy home and knew my family were safe, my nephew drove by. He was going over to see what could be done. I got in with him and went.

I said this because the movie made me think again of where exactly I was in that portion of time. My friends also said they felt that way during the movie. It is a powerful movie, it ran many emotions thru me. Very well made and respectfully created as to dignify those lives. I'm glad to have seen it as it added for me the element of that flight, which was a question in my mind. I wanted to know what they did and felt. I needed their story to finish that day in my mind. The families and those who knew what they knew during the event made it as accurrate as possible. So I am recommending it.
Never forget... or they will be back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users