Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Can't Load Up Xp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Needsalottahelp

Needsalottahelp

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

After turning on the computer i get the "We apologise fo the inconviencei, but Windows did not start successfully. Then i get the black screen with just the Windows Icon and a horizontal loading bar. After that a quick blue screen comes up. I cant even make out the message because it recyles so fast to the Blue Dell Insprion Screen that offers F2 for setup and then onto the "We apoligze . . " screen again.

Thank You
Needsalottahelp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:00 PM

Welcome to BC

Do you have a recovery disk for your computer? If you do not and you do not have your important data backed up you might be in a world of hurt. I had a computer today that could not boot into Windows and it almost turned into a fiasco.
This was a Hewlett Packard and it turned out that the recovery disk allowed us to actually do a System Recovery. I do not know if Dell disks allow that.

One thing you can do is this: Go into Safe Mode and try to access System Restore. You should be able to get to it thru All Programs then Accessories then System Tools then click System Restore.

Set it back to Atleast three days ago. This should straighten out your problem. If not I would seriously think about a full system recovery or a repair.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:55 AM

If you can't get to system restore after booting in safe mode and going to system restore see the following:

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP

Windows XP includes the System Restore tool, but you cannot start the System Restore tool from a Recovery Console prompt. Therefore, you may want to start the System Restore tool when you cannot start your Windows XP-based computer normally or in Safe mode.

This article describes how to start the System Restore tool in Safe mode by using Command Prompt.

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

#4 Needsalottahelp

Needsalottahelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

hey,

when i try to go into safe mood it puts up a message:

"Windows couldnot start because of a compuer disk hardware configuration problem.
Couldnt not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows Documentation about hardware disk configuaration and your hardware reference manuales for additional information."

I tried to go through the tutorial of using the microsoft operation system recovery console tool, but to no avail. I did notice that I had about 19.062 gb of used space on a 20 gb hard drive. Maybe thats just not enough free memory to start the os.

Sorry to say but this guy still,
Needsalottahelp

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:15 PM

Try booting the system again but as soon as you hear the first (and maybe only beep), before windows begins start tapping the F8 key which will put you into the screen for safe mode.

In addition to the various safe mode choices it will also give you a choice instead to use "Last Known Good Configuration".

Use that (use your arrow keys) and press "enter".

See if it boots.

1Gig is really not enough space. If you get Windows to open move some of your data off that drive and use other cleanup methods described here:
Step 5. Clean up your hard drive (preparation for Step 7). Delete unused programs and transfer old files to a CD. Unplayed games, lots of family pictures, zipped files that you have already opened, applications you have not used in two years, software for that old printer you threw away last year---these are some examples of files you can delete. Then use Window’s Disk Cleanup to delete temporary internet files, temporary PC health files, etc..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

Drat. Well, back to the recovery console. Try this.

Failing that, you may have to use a self-booting OS disk to retrieve your data and re-install. (Unless you already have your data backed up . . .)

#7 Needsalottahelp

Needsalottahelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

herk,

If possible how can i retrieve my data on the harddrive. I get to a point where Recovery Console says:

***** CAUTION *******
This computer appears to have a non-standard r invalid master boot record.
FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.
This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems acessing you drive, do not conitnue.

Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?

Still,
Needsalottahelp

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

Well, two things: first, it would probably be a good idea to back your data up now if you can. You can probably go ahead and fix the MBR anyway. But, should something go wrong that renders the disk unusable, you might wish you had it backed up.

But getting the data off of a drive with a dead operating system takes some doing. You obviously have a working computer, but what sort of equipment are we dealing with? Do you have a thumb drive? Something like this.

If so, that's one step in the right direction.

The next step is, do you have a CD-burner? Can you burn an ISO image?

If you can, then you can get a disk containing an a small, bootable operating system that will allow you to go in and using clumsy filesystem managers you can move files from the hard drive to the thumb drive, then to the other computer.

One disk that I use is UBCD. It has a lot of tools on it, and boots from the CD-Rom. If the PC will boot with this, you can copy the files without doing anything at all to the drive.

Another option is to remove the drive from the computer, and (assuming it's an IDE drive) switch the jumper to "slave" from "master", then put it in another computer. You can then copy the files from one drive to another, assuming there's space on the host drive.

All that said, regarding the MBR fix, read here.

Keep in mind that anything you do to your hard drive can potentially destroy it. That includes using it. :-)

And it's always possible that the drive is failing, but there's no way to know until you do some work. Handle it by the sides if you move it, don't touch the exposed electronics if possible. Don't shuffle across carpet and build up electrostatic electricity. And in future, keep this one fact in mind regarding backups: there are two kinds of hard drives: those that have failed, and those that will.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

Recover/backup your data now! Use a Knoppix CD or a DOS boot disk with NTFS Reader - but do it now! Hard drive failure/data loss is imminent! Each use of the disk increases the risk that data will be lost!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users