Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A/V LAN Video Chat

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rthwm

rthwm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

I've been searching the web looking for a solution to a problem, came across this forum and figured I would throw this out here and see if anyone else has some thoughts to guide me along here.

I have a VPN in-place and am needing a secured way to do point-to-point video (don't really need conference ability) with some of my employees. Due to the work we do, I have to ensure that security is taken in to consideration (which is why Skype/Google/etc) won't work.

I need something that will work within our LAN / VPN network and can run on multi-os / multi-device (pc, mac / apple, android).

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the feedback. I would prefer something open-source or fairly cheap. I know Cisco has a few options, but our organization is extremely small and we don't have thousands (or even hundreds) of dollars just laying around to put in to something like this.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Do you want a one-way video connection (i.e. your employees watch something that you "present") or are you looking for a two-way video call?

If the former, then you might be able to do it with some sort of consumer level security camera that has the ability to stream to an application on a computer on the "local" network (this assumes your VPN is setup such that the "other end" on the VPN does in fact see your network as "local"). I would assume this should work.

If it is the latter, then I found this:

http://www.ssuitesoft.com/instantvideochat.htm

NOTE: I HAVE NO CLUE HOW SECURE OR REPUTABLE THIS SOFTWARE IS...I found it with a Google search. Thus, you will need to do some research on them yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users