Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Iomega external hard drive is no longer showing up on my computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 besscella

besscella

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hi

I recently ran Malware Bytes, Super Anti-Spyware and Spyware search and destroy.  When these finished scanning they had found various malware etc.  So I deleted them all as I usually do.

However this time, after I rebooted my computer to complete the deletion of the malware etc, I discovered that my external hard drive is no longer showing up.

I've had this external hard drive for about a year or more now with no problems.  But now, the light on the back of the hard drive is not lighting and it is not listed in My Computer as even existing.

How can I get my PC to read my external hard drive again.  It's an Iomega hard drive with a storage capacity of one terabyte and it's almost full.  There's about 45 gigabytes left so I really need to be able to access it again.

Please help me. 

Thanks,
Sharon.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

Please tell me that you are not using that backup drive for "storage" and that you have copies of the files on your PC.

#3 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

I was using it for storage and I don't have any backups.  Can you help me?

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:12 AM

Hopefully it's just the enclosure that failed. You will need to take the drive out of the enclosure and plug it in directly into your computer. Google can show you how to plug it in.

#5 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but the external hard drive that I'm using is a desktop external hard drive and it has power cable and is plugged into the extension socket.  so im not sure if your suggestion will work.

Also, I am not very savvy regarding computers and while I know you're trying to help me, your solution seems a little extreme to me at this time.  Is there anything else I can try before trying the above suggestion???

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:14 AM

Yes, I'm well aware of how externals are. They still have a regular hard drive in them.

The only other thing I can offer is to take it to your local computer shop and they can do it for you.

In the end you're going to have to invest in another and maybe 2 1TB drives. One to recover the data to and another one to do regular backups to.

#7 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:32 AM

Okay, well thanks for your suggestions anyway.  

If anybody else has any other suggestions I'd like to hear them please.  Thanks.

#8 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hi

I just thought you might like an update on my external hard drive problems.

Solved!

It turns out that the adapter stopped working.  I got a new adapter, plugged everything in and there it was on My Computer.  I can now access my hard drive again, Thank God!

I had brought it to a guy who knows loads about computers, and he tested my adapter and discovered that the adapter was in fact dead.  There was no voltage coming from it.  I'd also brought along my external hard drive, so he asked to see that.  Then he used the new adapter on it and it came to life.

Having said all of that, he recommended, just as you did, that I get two new hard drives as soon as I can, one to make a clone of my original hard drive and a seperate one to back up my info on to.

So I hope this helps somebody else.  Just thought I'd let you guys and gals know as it might save you some money, in the short term anyway.

PS.  My hard drive didn't die in the usual manner.  When I restarted my computer the drive just didn't show up.  There were no wierd sounds from the drive.  In fact there were no sounds at all from the drive, no spinning no anything.  All this meant was that there was no power going to the drive.  So the drive itself wasn't broken, just the adapter. 

The guy did say that when things start to go wrong, they will usually go wrong again, and it could be dying.  So now I have to get those external hard drives as fast as I can while I still have life in this one.  Due to finances, that might take two weeks, so in the meantime, I'm going to copy the most important data off onto DVDs & CDs while I can as a short term solution, in case the drive goes before I have a chance to get everything off.

I hope this makes things clearer to the newbies and is of some help for people new to this subject.

Thanks again for all your help Senior Member.  I appreciate it.

Good Luck!

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hooray! Glad you got it resolved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users