Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

YouTube videos will not load/buffer

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Friarbarb

Friarbarb

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

As the topic title indicates, when I go to view a YouTube video, whether at YouTube.com or inbedded in another site, the video will not load properly.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the video is a few minutes or a few hours, but it will load....maybe buffer...then stop loading.

)I've tried different YouTube qualities...I've tried pausing the vid (I use to be able to load a video this way...Start the vid..pause it..let it buffer), but whatever vid won't continue to load/buffer..whatever.

I've cleaned out cookies...browser history..anything YouTube suggests, but no success.

I can stream the vid over the my, same, but connecting through wireless without too much of an issue

I've switched out hardware (modem, nic cables, etc.) but same results.

I've downloaded updated nic card drivers.

Same result.

Operating system is Windows XP and at 1.5 gig connection.

Any help appreciated.

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

What browser are you using? Have you tried different browsers?

#3 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

I have tried Firefox and IE, both the same result.

Oh, and my connection is 1.5mbs, not gigs.

Again, I don't have the issue when using my smartphone and streaming videos.

Any help appreciated.

Robert

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Have you contacted your ISP? It may be something faulty on their end.

#5 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Tried my ISP..does not seem to be them (ATT).

Other websites load fine..no problems.

But, when I go to play YouTube videos, whether on YouTube or imbedded in another site, they don't load, or partly load then stop...no buffering.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

What did your ISP tell you? The reason I am asking this is it seems you are only having problems with your wireless connection. Your wired connection works fine. That points to faulty equipment owned by your ISP. And our experience here at BC is that ISPs are notorious for not wanting to deal with these problems. You need to be persistent because they'll tell you some nonsense just to get you off the phone. We've seen it so many times. The guy at the call center will insist it can't possibly be their equipment. Then they send a technician to physically check and the problem is with their equipment. This has happened to me and technicians laugh when you tell them what the office said. 

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

If the problem is not resolved by your ISP,

1.) Try updating your flash player, shockwave player and Java.

2.) Clear your cache or temporary internet files. Ccleaner or TFC softwares can be useful in this case.

3.) Update your video drivers by the support site and try disabling hardware acceleration and flash display settings.

http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-off-Hardware-Acceleration

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html

4.) Try using the lower quality display videos on the flash video low panel.

5.) Some reports have issues with Adblock installed causing youtube videos to buffer or pause.

Tekken

#8 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

Not a problem with the wireless connnection...it's the desktop connection I'm having an issue with.

I've cleared out the cache, temp files, turned off Hardware Acceleration.

I've disabled my anti-virus while trying to view videos.

I've tried lowering the quality of the video.

I've updated my video drivers.

I'm running the most recent versions of Flash, Shockwave, Java.

I've checked to verify that my modem isn't "timing out" the connection.

Nothing has helped.

And, I use to be able to start a video, pause the video and it would continue to buffer. I could then select Play and be able to watch the video just fine. This has been going on for over a year.

Could this be a processor issue? I am running machine with XP and with a AMD Anthon 64 processor 2.19 ghz.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Do you see the buffering problem when no one is using the connection?

Tekken

#10 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Yes, the problem persists with just the desktop using the connection...desktop connected to the DSL modem with an ethernet cable.

I just watched a 2.5 hour video over my iPhone via the wireless connection from the same modem..no problem. Then shutting down this wireless connection, tried watching the same video over the desktop via ethernet cable...the video would partially load then stop. No buffering.

I could drag the indicator on this video further along, the video would start to load at that point, play a few seconds or minutes then stop.

And, it doesen't seem to matter what lenght the video is, although shorter videos (a few seconds, maybe a couple minutes) have played, but after constant starting/stopping.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

See what this speed test tells you. Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 Coffeegulper

Coffeegulper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Do any other sites like Vimeo work?

#13 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Ok, watched a couple videos on Vimeo and I can load the video, pause it and it will continue to load/buffer.

My Speeds are around 1.5mb download and about 500 upload.

Time of day does not seem to be a factor.

So is this something to do with my computer?

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Increase the download speed to 5 to 7mb service and that should end the buffering. Just my 2 cents worth......

In my experience, 1.5 mb service is just not enough to end buffering. Slows busy web pages displaying, too.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#15 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Sorry for being dense...

But why can I stream the video on my smart device, over the wireless DSL connection, but not through the wired DSL connection on my desktop?

I mean, it's the same connection to the modem, right? But, once the connection goes to my desktop I have an issue.

Could this be some protocol or processor issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users