Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any option to have multiple windows on a screen [Pc or mac?]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Sorry guys, I didn't know in which forum this topic belongs. I would like a computer system where I can have mulitple windows open on the monitor at the same time so I can switch between windows without having to minimize and maximize from the system tray, is there such an option on either a pc or mac? I guess it would be something like on a TV with "picture in picture"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

I can't speak for the Apple OS - but I believe it's the same - if I understand your question correctly it's built into Windows !

In every application running on Windows, except for the most trivial ones like Minesweeper or Solitaire, if you look at the screen in the top right corner there are three small boxes. The left hand one has a line it, that's the one that minimises it to the desktop. The right hand one has an X in it, that one closes the application. The middle one, which has two squares one superimposed on the other, is the one to change the size of the window.

Click on the middle square and the screen will shrink by some amount. Move the mouse cursor to any edge of the window and it will turn into a double headed arrow. Then drag until you have got the width and height you want. Once you have got the window to the size you want, click in the (normally) blue strip at the top of the window and hold the button down. You can now drag the window to wherever you want on the desktop.

Open your next application and repeat. You can do this for as many applications as (a) your computer memory will support, and (B) your eyes can handle. Normally two or three is sufficent, it is of course also subject to the size of your screen. I am involved in project which involves taking a lot of photos then cataloguing them, so I routinely work with an image editor and a spreadsheet, with a browser going in the background for research.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

If you right click on the task bar you have cascade, stack and tile options for your windows..... which will do exactly what you're talking about, a few different ways, automatically.

edit: well, kind of anyways... Best solution that I know.

Edited by TsVk!, 19 August 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

Hello guys, yes what you guys wrote, that is exactly what I am seeking, thank you very much! I need this to compare info on PDF and spreadsheet files. 3 questions please?

1] What advantage for my purpose will the cascade option have over manually resizing?

2] I notice that on my 17" screen I can realistically see 2 windows at the same time but if I resize both windows then i cannot view each window's contents ad mainly the right half won't be showing, how can I view each window in "full" view on the downsized view?

3] I have a 19" screen, what's the smallest sized screen would you guys reocmmend I can get to view 3 windows in full view please?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

You cannot get to see two, or more, 'full' Windows on any screen if you are looking at more than one, but is this important ?  For example, an Excel spreadsheet page is potentially huge. I don't remember the exact figures but I think any one sheet can have something like 63,000 rows ! I routinely work with spreadsheets with 2000+ rows and even full screen, you cannot see all of that at once. You can of course use the 'zoom' function in the PDF viewer to allow you to see a complete page even at half screen, but you may not be able to read it at that magnification.

If it is important to work with two or more windows nearly simultaneously, then an alternative is to set them up at slightly less than full screen - so you can see an edge of each of the others - then click on the edge you can see of the next one you want to work on. This is in fact similar to cascading, but this way you are working at almost full screen in each.

The bigger the screen, the more you can see in each window at one time. I happen to have a 19" screen and that works fine for what I do. I have an image viewer in one half and a spreadsheet in the other. What I am doing is cataloguing photos by re-naming them from the data in the spreadsheet, Since virtually all the photos I am working with are in 'portrait' mode, I can get a full height image into half the screen. I can do exactly the same on a smaller screen, it's just that I get a slightly smaller view of the image and I can't see as much of the spreadsheet.

I can't offer an opinion on the cascading method, I haven't used it in years. The answer is to try both and see which you prefer / works better for you.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Ok, thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users