Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer detects 5GB ram but only 997MB usable?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Regdrags

Regdrags

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hey guys - a newbie here with a bit of a problem.

To start off simple, I brought a computer off from Tiger Direct, refurnished and what not. Only problem is that it only has 2 GB of ram. I use Photoshop, Fruity Loops studio, the works so I brought two 2GB ram sticks for it.

Now for the details:

My computer is a:

HP 5800 Small Form Factor desktop. (Zomg, these were in highschool) :busy:
 Motherboard: HP2820h
Chip: Intel Q33 (Core 2 Duo)

Last Bios update: 08/27/2008 
^
(It may be the reason here but I will like to hear other suggestions, as installing or installing a bios update incorrectly = goodbye computer. :smash:
)
Windows 7 64-bit (Legit) Home premium

Attached File  Untitled.png   344.36KB   6 downloads

In regards to memory (and it is a bit old, but since my other super machine crapped out on me and was on a bit of a budget, I had to get something that wouldn't burn my wallet.)

DDR2 DIMM (unbuffed) Dual channeling is enabled. 64bit, 667 Mhz, the works. The ram sticks that came with the computer orginally are all different brands...

The mother board is able to handle up to 8GB of installed ram. The cpu is able to handle it as well. (Checked before I brought the new sticks)

What I had before were: Four 512 MB Ram Sticks. 667mhz, dual channel, etc etc. In other words, they work with the mother board.

The 2 GB ram sticks are the same except well...they're 2GB a pop. :bubbles:

So, I placed in the two 2GB sticks...nada happens, it doesn't boot up. Then I tried installing two of the 512 MB sticks with the two 2GB ones and I get an error message stating that there are no memory sticks in the black bank slot. (I placed the 2GB ram sticks in the black slots.) With that, I pressed F1, it rebooted, booted to Windows and I thought all was dandy...I right clicked on Computer and wa-ha, my comp is telling me that "Hey, I can see that 5GB of physical memory! However, I can only used about a GB of it..." :tophat:

I have tried the "Changing the max. memory on boot up" trick - Didn't do nada.

I am still considering of perhaps a Bios update but I am too chicken to go through with it unless it's the only choice I have. :idea:

I have tried switching the sticks to all possible places, made sure they were placed correctly, googled until my fingers bleed - my computer was like: :nono:

My Bios doesn't have the memory remapping feature or anything similar to it...Actually, when I go through Bios, it only detects the two 512 MB ram sticks. 

After scratching my head and glaring at my computer (and let's not forget the many google searches) here I am. I can't seem to figure what the problem could be.

So to anyone that may be interested in this over asked question:

What exactly could be the problem here? *Based on the info I gave*

And if I really do need a Bios update to fix the issue at hand...a step by step guide or a finger at the right direction would be most helpful! (I am a newbie with Bios stuff.)
:hello:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

:welcome: Regdrags to Bleeping Computer

Please see this MS Article regarding memory calculations found at the lower half of the page.

Tekken

#3 Regdrags

Regdrags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

Mkay, looks like I'll be doing the following based on the link:

Running some memory tests.

Reinstall windows 7

Annnd if all else fails...Looks like I'll have a good at updating the bios.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

There are more steps to follow aside from just running the memory test and reinstalling windows.

1. MSConfig

2. BIOS settings

3. Memory Arrangement on slots which varies on motherboard manual specifications.

4. Reinserting the RAM and cleaning the gold contacts and slots.

5. A BIOS update.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users