Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing parts for a gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 catnapgood

catnapgood

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hiya guys! It's been a long time.

After working for a while I have finally acquired a nice sum of money, and now I can finally go through my nerdy right of passage and build my own PC! But I can't do without some lovely assistance from the community.

I'm building a gaming/art/school/everything PC. I need it to be strong and dependable, as well as future-proof*.

*And yes, I know a literal "future-proof" computer is impossible. But it can be achieved with quality parts now, and my perseverance later. My last computer which finally gave out on me a few months ago was my overclocked P4, and it worked 'fine', but never played games well. (Somehow I got it to run HL2!)

What I would like are suggestions and comments about the parts I am looking at purchasing. (I have already bought the PS and a case though.) 

CPU: i7-4770k

PS: CORSAIR AXi AX760i

SSD:
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB

HDD: WD Black 1 TB

MOBO: Not entirely sure yet.

RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

GPU: GeForce GTX 760 or 770

Adjustments: 
A second HDD will be bought later.**
Possibly a second GPU as well.

If you think anything can be altered or if there will be any complications just let me know. : )
Though truthfully I haven't looked into mobos much, I have a few that I planned to compare, but I like to hear what you guys enjoy. 

**A second HDD, will be used to dink around with Linux in free time.

Thanks! You guys rock.

Edited by catnapgood, 19 August 2013 - 03:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

Can't poke many holes in that build.  Definitely go for the 770 over the 760.  Oh, and maybe a WD Black 1TB instead of the Seagate.

Heck of a good PSU by the way.

...................and, try for RAM rated to run at 1.5, or even 1.35V.  1.65V RAM, on an Intel rig, can possibly cause problems with heat and power draw.  Don't get too hung up on your raw RAM speed as the faster the raw speed, the looser the timings need to be to achieve stability (like 10-12-12-31 on the RAM you posted).  From the benchmarks I have run across, 1866 is near the sweet spot.  Found some 1866/1.5V/9-10-9-27 at Newegg.  Memory throughput isn't the bottleneck it used to be.

Also not a bad idea to budget on a CPU cooler.  Hyper 212 EVO seems to be the popular price/performance/size choice.

Have fun with your build.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

Can't poke many holes in that build.  Definitely go for the 770 over the 760.  Oh, and maybe a WD Black 1TB instead of the Seagate.

Heck of a good PSU by the way.

...................and, try for RAM rated to run at 1.5, or even 1.35V.  1.65V RAM, on an Intel rig, can possibly cause problems with heat and power draw.  Don't get too hung up on your raw RAM speed as the faster the raw speed, the looser the timings need to be to achieve stability (like 10-12-12-31 on the RAM you posted).  From the benchmarks I have run across, 1866 is near the sweet spot.  Found some 1866/1.5V/9-10-9-27 at Newegg.  Memory throughput isn't the bottleneck it used to be.

Also not a bad idea to budget on a CPU cooler.  Hyper 212 EVO seems to be the popular price/performance/size choice.

Have fun with your build.

Thanks!

Well, I am paranoid of a bad PSU. Reason being a friend was gonna have me run diagnostics or recovery on his Father's (pretty old, probably P2) computer. When I plugged the poor baby in, about 4 capacitors and the the PSU blew. I am just glad I thought to plug the cable into the tower before the wall, otherwise I would have been in a very sticky situation. (There was fire and smoke and visible electricity!)

I'll probably switch to WD, their HDDs have always been very dependable imo.

Edit: Would the Corsair Vengeance PRo 16GB (2 x 8GB) be the one you were looking at. The reviews look good at newegg, though the red details has gotten quite a few negatives, including DOA. But Newegg helps sort that out.

Truthfully I am terrified that all my parts will for some reason be DOA. xDD Although I know that is highly unlikely. But at least one of them is bound to be working funny in the end.

Edited by catnapgood, 19 August 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hi, either the G.Skill or Corsair ram would be perfectly fine as they do not really affect performance. I would ditch the WD Black drive for a normal Seagate drive to cut down on cost if you plan to use it for storage purposes.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Let you in on a secret......................most of the "DOAs" you read about are due to plain incompetence on part of the builder.  I have been in this for 18 years and have run across 3 bad motherboards (3 letter boards), and maybe 2 bad sticks of RAM <cough>PMC<cough>.  Likewise, Newegg reviews- take them with a grain of salt.  Always a chance parts might not play well together, but that's life.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hi, either the G.Skill or Corsair ram would be perfectly fine as they do not really affect performance. I would ditch the WD Black drive for a normal Seagate drive to cut down on cost if you plan to use it for storage purposes.

Hm. Well the difference in pricing for the HDD aren't much. And going with the Corsair RAM would actually be cheaper than G.Skill, which would pay out the difference in the Hard Drive. So I end up paying the same for the PC. But I will continue to look into it, I do plan to buy another HDD later on.

#7 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Let you in on a secret......................most of the "DOAs" you read about are due to plain incompetence on part of the builder.  I have been in this for 18 years and have run across 3 bad motherboards (3 letter boards), and maybe 2 bad sticks of RAM <cough>PMC<cough>.  Likewise, Newegg reviews- take them with a grain of salt.  Always a chance parts might not play well together, but that's life.

M'kay, that is good to know.

My only experience buying parts personally was a small local store that had a 20$ mobo (no returns) that had one PCIe slot (which is what I wanted) and could run the tiny dual-core my friend gave me.

Wouldn't even start.

#8 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

When it comes to cooling though, I have an unused Corsair H60 here that was given to me by my friend who got it from his boss. I can use that until and if I want to buy 'better' water cooling later on. But I don't think I will receive any heating issues for now.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

When it comes to cooling though, I have an unused Corsair H60 here that was given to me by my friend who got it from his boss. I can use that until and if I want to buy 'better' water cooling later on. But I don't think I will receive any heating issues for now.

The H60 wouldnt be to bad for overclocking but considering how hot Haswell can get when overclocked, it is best to do a slight overclock with no voltage increase. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

The H60 wouldnt be to bad for overclocking but considering how hot Haswell can get when overclocked, it is best to do a slight overclock with no voltage increase. 

Good to know. I actually don't plan to overclock until I've used my computer for a few months and I learn how it runs and processes without any modifications. The only reason I know how to OC was because I needed to push my P4 and graphics card to run HL2.

I'm getting the 4770k, so that the OC option is there for later.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

One more thing i forgot is, you need a motherboard. How much are you willing to spend on a motherboard? Do you plan to add a second graphics card?

>Michael 

#12 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

One more thing i forgot is, you need a motherboard. How much are you willing to spend on a motherboard? Do you plan to add a second graphics card?

I've never been good at determining motherboard quality. So I looked at a review for Intel's gaming motherboards 2013.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130693

This appears to be nice. And it was the second best option, the other one came out to be 60$ more, and I believe the selling point was even better audio, and design for overclocking enthusiasts. 

Although I do like overclocking, it is more of an upgrade to me than a necessity when it comes to computing. 

And yes, I will add the second GPU later on.

What do you think about it? Any better out there?

Edited by catnapgood, 20 August 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

The motherboard you have chosen is more of gaming oriented rather than an overclocking enthusiasts motherboard. It fits your purpose as a gamer but if you wanted an overclocking enthusiast motherboard then you should be looking at ones that have large power phases etc.

>Michael 

#14 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

The MSI Z87-G45 really has a weak analog VRM setup.   There's a reason for the price difference.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Edited by dpunisher, 20 August 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:35 AM

The motherboard you've chosen is great, there are boards that have extra features for overclockers, but you really don't need those.  Keep in mind that if you want to use multiple GPU's, Intel's boards do not offer PCI-Express speeds at 16X with more than one slot populated.  To the best of my knowledge, only the boards compatible with LGA 2011 processors do this.  The PCI-E speeds shouldn't be an issue unless you use Crossfire/SLI with top-of-the-line cards.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users