Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on windows 7 tower with new HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 glachapelle

glachapelle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hello everyone,

I have an alienware x51 tower running windows 7 thats a couple of years old. I had the HDD replaced a month ago and today I had a BSOD which luckily recovered after the tower restarted.

Here is the BSOD dump:

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                BlueScreen

OS Version:      6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:         1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:             7a

BCP1: 0000000000000004

BCP2: 0000000000000200

BCP3: FFFFFA800BD936C0

BCP4: FFFFF8A002AE6058

OS Version:      6_1_7601

Service Pack:  1_0

Product:            768_1

Any hints as to what specifically this dump is referring too would be very helpful.

Thank you for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 jamadad

jamadad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

First I would ask have you added ram?

If So, I just spent three days discovering that the default ram voltage on a motherboard may cause intermittent freezing/BSODs especially when the ram slots are maxed out. You can run Memtest 86+ for 10 passes without errors. The dump files will show different drivers when the boot error/freeze occurs. When the system does boot without error you can run burn in tests for two days without fail then turn off the system and it will freeze on restart. 

I increased the ram voltage from 1.5 volts to 1.8 volts with all four slots filled and the error never recurred.

#4 glachapelle

glachapelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Sorry for the late reply here is the BSOD text!

==================================================
Dump File         : 081913-22354-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 8/19/2013 11:38:08 AM
Bug Check String  : KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000007a
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00000004
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000200
Parameter 3       : fffffa80`0bd936c0
Parameter 4       : fffff8a0`02ae6058
Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+75c00
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+75c00
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Users\glachapelle\Desktop\081913-22354-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 295,400
Dump File Time    : 8/19/2013 11:44:52 AM
==================================================

First I would ask have you added ram?

If So, I just spent three days discovering that the default ram voltage on a motherboard may cause intermittent freezing/BSODs especially when the ram slots are maxed out. You can run Memtest 86+ for 10 passes without errors. The dump files will show different drivers when the boot error/freeze occurs. When the system does boot without error you can run burn in tests for two days without fail then turn off the system and it will freeze on restart. 

I increased the ram voltage from 1.5 volts to 1.8 volts with all four slots filled and the error never recurred.

I have not added any new ram and the memtest came back clean for every scan. The ram could still be bad of course but it hasnt ever been replaced.

The issue seems to be with a kernal file but im not sure if theres anyway around that except for using the windows disk to run a repair cycle. Any more thoughts?

Thank you everyone for all the help! 

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

If you don't get the error again I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it. If you do, it may indicate a problem with the hd or ram (hd is more likely). Here are some steps to take:

1) Since it's a new hd, check to make sure the connections are tight.

2) To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

3) To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#6 jamadad

jamadad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

One of the key issues that would point to the ram voltage, would be that the dump test shows different drivers being loaded as the cause of the crash.

If the same driver is causing the crash then that's where I would look for a solution.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

With all due respect to the above poster - I don't even know what he's talking about when he says "he dump test shows different drivers being loaded as the cause of the crash". My suggestion is that you either do nothing for now or run the tests suggested in my post above.

#8 glachapelle

glachapelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

With all due respect to the above poster - I don't even know what he's talking about when he says "he dump test shows different drivers being loaded as the cause of the crash". My suggestion is that you either do nothing for now or run the tests suggested in my post above.

Thank allan, I will run the tests and go from there. thank you for your input!

One of the key issues that would point to the ram voltage, would be that the dump test shows different drivers being loaded as the cause of the crash.

If the same driver is causing the crash then that's where I would look for a solution.

There is no ram voltage to change this is a oem dell mobo with oem ram and I dont see how bad ram would load different drivers since ram is just fancy page memory allocated to run tasks and simple calculations. Thank you for you input though I appreciate different perspectives!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users