Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Icons,tray Or Start Menu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dyljeseri

dyljeseri

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

When I boot the computer and windows starts, the desktop is blank.The wallpaper is the
only thing on the screen. I am able to start programs from the task manager but I want my
icons and start menu back. How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

You could try to run System Restore from the command prompt to bring your computer back to a time before the problem started.

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Source -http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

Edited by Joshuacat, 22 April 2006 - 06:34 PM.

JC

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

Hover the cursor at the bottom of the screen & see if it turns into a double headed arrow.
Also--

Posted Image

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:16 PM

And what happens if you press your Windows key? That should bring up the Start menu. If it doesn't, it's not just hidden. If Medab 1's idea about the double-headed arrow works, drag your taskbar back up from the bottom of the screen and lock it by right-clicking and clicking on "Lock the Taskbar."

You might also try to open your task manager, and under File choose New Task, type in Explorer.

It sounds as if you have either a registry corruption or a profile corruption. Joshuacat's instructions to do a system restore are one solution, but it doesn't always work. You can try to create another profile and then enter it and see if the icons and taskbar are back. If they are back, it would indicate that it's your profile that's messed up.

If you're able to start Explorer from the taskbar, it might be a good time to check for malware. Antivirus scan, Spybot, Adaware.

You could also start up in Safe Mode (not command line) and see if the taskbar appears there.

Microsoft's instructions for some of this here.

And finally, at Kelly's Korner, scroll down to line 195 on the right and try the VBS script file.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:20 PM

Are you sure you didn't run the "Desktop Cleanup Wizard" which pops up and asks permission to run and "clean" seldomly used icons from the desktop?
(Someone's BAD idea!)

#6 dyljeseri

dyljeseri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

THank you for your responses.
I can't run explorer
clicking the desktop does nothing -There is no doublesided arrow on any part of the desktop
system restore does not do anything
There are two profiles and they both do the same thing
safe mode doesn't have the icons either-
i get no response from the windows key.

How do I run the vbs script file from kellys corner? i downloaded it but I don't know how to open it.

It says "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.
Create an association in the folder options control panel."

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:33 AM

The VBS script should run when you double-click it. Based on the message you're getting, your Windows Scripting Host isn't functional, or an antivirus/antimalware program is disabling scripts. I'm betting that, based upon all the specific problems you're having, that you're looking at a re-install of XP.

Without Explorer, knowing that more than one profile doesn't work, unable to run VBS scripts, Windows Key does nothing, it's obvious that Windows is missing many critical components.

Do you have an XP CD? It might be needed if you can somehow run System File Checker. This is usually run from a command line. But try opening task manager and from the file menu choose new task, and type in:
sfc /scannow

It will probably ask you to insert your XP CD so that it can copy DLL files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users