Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly built PC hangs up at Win7 install screen, will not respond

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KKVictoria

KKVictoria

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

Hey, I recently purchased all the parts to build my girlfriend a new PC. All parts were purchased as new, from Newegg. No refurbs.

For reference, the parts list:

• Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB Ram
  • AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz
  • Antec Earthwatts EA-650 Green 650W ATX12V v2.3
  • ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD with UEFI BIOS
  • ASUS GtX650-E-2GD5 GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
  • Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid Tower

So, this was all put together, and it came time to fire it up and install the OS. I had a copy of Win7pro SP1 on her Mac that I shuffled over to an 8gb flashdrive, at first using bootcamp to install a bootable copy of it.

Unfortunately, that didn't work. After some research, I discovered that it was because to operate on a mac, it had to be formatted to FAT32, and for a PC it had to be NTFS.

So I tried again, this time putting the .iso of Windows onto my flashdrive, not making it bootable. I borrowed a friend's laptop, put the .iso onto it, reformatted the flashdrive to NTFS and then made it bootable.

This worked, but I had a different issue of the PC not recognizing the HDD in it's case. After opening it, I found I had forgotten to plug it into the PSU, which made me feel like a right nob.

So then we tried again, to no success.

I also tried burning the .iso to a CD to try installing from there -- same problems.

I figured, maybe I ought to try installing an earlier version of Windows. One of my friends from the computer lab had an old WinXPSP1 CD, so I figured what the Hell and gave it a shot. The computer hated it, gave me a blue screen telling me if this was the first time I saw it I should restart (I'm sure y'all have seen that before. It's happened to me on other builds, but not often.)

So I put the XP disc down, and tried three different copies of Windows7. The ProSP1, an UltimateSP1, and I believe a Home edition as well. All of these were either burned from .iso's onto a bootable CD, or made bootable on a USB drive.

Right now, her father had done some finagling on it (A software engineer for a medical company), but we both had to leave town before we could finally fix this computer and get it operating properly.

So currently, my girlfriend is stuck with a ~700$ complicated toaster on her desk. It'll go past the BIOS and to the Windows flag screen, but there it hangs up and doesn't respond at all.

I'm thinking the next solution would be to buy a Win8 CD -- she gets a good deal from the bookstore, being a student. 20$ for Win8 Student edition or sommat. 

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas and would love some external and constructive input.

Thanks for reading guys, hope y'all can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

if windows XP and 7 don't work, I would suspect there maybe other issues at hand. Try running memtest86+ on the ram and then locating the diagnostic software for your particular hard drive here.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 KKVictoria

KKVictoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

An issue at hand is that I can't really troubleshoot the RAM or the HDD because the only other computer she has is a macbook. If I had my own computer there, it'd be a different story.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

you dont need another computer-both of these programs you download to a DVD, and boot up the malfunctioning computer with that disc. They will boot up and run all tests, no operating system needed.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

Another suggestion is to update the motherboard to the latest Bios if the Memtest results are clean.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

Were you ever able to get into Windows such as with a safe boot or just after installation.  I've had computers stop loading the OS at the Windows logo when there are serious driver issues or some kind of hardware failure or motherboard misconfiguration.

3939.png

#7 KKVictoria

KKVictoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

I had, yes, but only the once. It got past the Windows loading screen and into the installer proper, but that would then have a driver issue. We'd been messing with the motherboard settings, so it might have something to do with that -- I'm not so well versed in the BIOS, to be honest. My girlfriend's father was the one who handled the majority of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users