Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friend used Kaspersky to remove some malware ...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bill02888

bill02888

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

My friend Brian, who lives in Rhode Island USA, was having issues on his Windows XP SP3 system. He downloaded the trial version of Kaspersky and ran it. He says that it removed some malware.

Since then, he says that his computer is running very slowly. For example, it sometimes takes 45 seconds to start Word. He's also seeing messages about DLLs that are ending unexpectedly. And he's also printed some documents, only to have the printer stop mid-way through the document.

Brian lives 1 hour away from me. He is taking care of an ill mother-in-law so he doesn't have much time to dedicate to working on this issue himself. He will be going back to school in 2 weeks and needs to have a reliable computer by that time.

Is there good remote access software that I can have him install, so that I can then work with you to determine what needs to be done to perform post-removal recovery on his system? It would certainly need to be able to connect to his computer without his assistance. I would also need to be able to retrieve logs for you to review.

After we are done cleaning up from the infection, I plan to use Secunia PSI to make sure that he is running safe versions of software, defragment his hard drive, use CCleaner (to clean up temporary files, cache(s), and the registry), etc.

Thanks,

Bill in Massachusetts USA.

Mod Edit: moved to Appropriate forum ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 19 August 2013 - 11:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

TeamViewer is free and as long as you have the connection password, you can connect without the user on the other end having to accept the connection.

#3 bill02888

bill02888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Sounds good. I'll give him a quick call and set that up.

What log(s) (if any) should I retrieve from Kaspersky and post in order to start researching to see if his system is really clean now?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

You can start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum and post the Kaspersky scan results there.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users