Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions on DVD burning programs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 PlumAmp24

PlumAmp24

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hello,

To make a long story short my computer had nero 9 essentials preinstalled on to it but my antivirus deleted some exe's belonging to nero and now I am wondering if I should remove it with revo and install it again?

Is nero 9 that type of program that will give me hassle to remove and install again? I was also looking at ImgBurn and CDBurnerXP as alternatives and I wanted to know if these had the feature to double check the data that was burned on to the dvd like nero has.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NorthernScally

NorthernScally

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

been a while since i used nero to be honest. nero removal tool - http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showtopic=65

i just use windows 7 built in burner its as good as any burner ive used

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Hi, I use ImgBurn for CD, DVD and BluRay disks. It will allow you to scan the burn for errors if You check the Verify box. It is a Burning application only. If you were using Nero to convert files then burn it won't help You. However ImgBurn is the only add on burning program I use. It just works, a rock solid tool.

Any conversion or authoring I do with different programs.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

I generally use DeepBurner.

http://www.deepburner.com/

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Another free alternative with verify feature http://www.burnaware.com/

Tekken

#6 PlumAmp24

PlumAmp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

I will give ImgBurn a try to see what happens

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

Which version of Windows? And what specific burning features are you looking for?

I ask because Windows XP and newer does have some limited optical disc burning features. So, depending on what you are trying to burn, the built-in functions might work.

#8 PlumAmp24

PlumAmp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

Windows XP Professional SP3, verifying burned data and burn speed of data on to DVD.

I was wondering something I have a 64GB USB flash thumb drive and I wanted to know if this can be also used to backup my data as well? Do flash drives have a retention issue with data or is that not a problem anymore?

I was reading that DVD's have a data retention of two to 15 years according to the wiki article. What type and brand of data storage medias would you guys recommend for long term storage?

Edited by PlumAmp24, 21 August 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:59 AM

Tested brands of which most members would likely agree are Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba, Buffalo, etc.. Always practice backing up on 2 different storages or hard drives for assurances.

Tekken

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'll address lifetimes of storage media. So far the longest proven media is Stone (Pyramids, Statues), Paper Books (back to the Gutenberg Bible), Film (Still photos from before the civil war, Films by Edison). 

In many cases it isn't the media that you need to worry about so much as the hardware to use the media.

I've been using Verbatim CD, DVD, And BluRay blanks.

However even then You have to use the right ones as they have a cheap ? line called the life series for DVDs and I use the HTL BluRay not the LTH version.

For example these are what I use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817507005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130156

And not these as these are LTH, Cheaper but.............

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130187

Since I switched to using these I have nothing but successful disks burned.

I also Use a 2Tb USB3 drive as my second backup system so that I end up with Optical disks and a external drive for backups.

Brands of external drives I use include Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital. And Western Digital

And 2 pairs of these Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD20EFRX mirrored in 2 QNAP NAS's. That is for extra protection for important data.

Cheers

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 22 August 2013 - 01:00 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 PlumAmp24

PlumAmp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for the info jhayz, rotor123 I have a couple of Verbatim 4xDVD+RW, I read some where that DVD RW are not good for making back ups but at the time I bought those DVD RW I was thinking more about the convenience of updating the data.

smax013 is there anything wrong with my version "Windows XP Professional SP3" you need any other info?

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

The reason for not using ReWritable disks for backup is that the data on them is not long lived due to the writable layers material. They are fine for moving files, doing test burns of a video to test how it plays back and things like that.

I have used them to make bootable diagnostic disks where I know I will not need that disk again. As well as when flashing a BIOS. When I'm done I can erase them and reuse the disk.

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

smax013 is there anything wrong with my version "Windows XP Professional SP3" you need any other info?

Nothing wrong with Windows XP Pro SP3. Just keep in mind that Microsoft's support for it ends next year. So, as time goes by after that date, it will become less and less secure if you have that computer connected to the Internet.

As to burning with Windows XP, if I recall correctly, Windows does not have the ability to "mount" a burnable RW disc as if it were a regular drive. For that, you will need some third party software. It will do typical one time burn operations (I believe it does support multiple sessions, but I could be wrong). I am pretty sure Windows XP allows you to erase an RW disc and reuse it, but it has been a while since I have regularly used Windows XP and even then I generally did not use RW discs.

FWIW, for general backup purposes these days, I tend to suggest using an external hard drive (or two or more...one backup great, but each additional backup provides more redundancy). Unless you have a rathe small amount of data to backup, using optical discs to back up gets time consuming and potentially expensive (if you are backing up frequently). This is potentially even true if you are using Bluray discs. Using a hard drive for backup is generally MUCH easier.

Where I do use optical discs is to make an "archive" copy of some files. A good example are picture files. For most people, they never change/edit their picture files, except for maybe once initially. Thus, DVD+/-R, CD-R or write once Bluray discs are a good candidate for use to create an archive backup copy of image files (I would still advise a redundant backup to an external drive).

In general, optical discs are good for backing up things that you will not need to update or change...aka archiving.

#14 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

I would like to know which burning program is the simplest and easiest to use. I have downloaded and tried several different burners and they are all so dang complicated, I spend 4 hours just trying to figure them out only to find that there is nothing on the disk. I've tried the built in burner with Win 7 but the choices of files are limited to just the main files on C: drive. And when you don't want the entire file, but just part of the file, it removes the box to drag the files over. Plus it takes 4 hours to move a 390mg file? Gimme a break.

I used to be able to use Nero with no problem. It brings up the lists, you can choose which files you want, slide it over to the right and click burn. That's it. But that was when I had XP and my Nero disk is for a pre-installed program.

Now, with programs like Imgburn, you have to "read" the files first, then when you click on "build", everything disappears and you have to start all over again. They have made these burning programs so complicated you have to be a computer tech to figure them out.

Does anybody know a SIMPLE burn program that I can copy just a few of my important files on C: drive without having to work 4 hours to get them into a list and have it actually burn the list I create?

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Try this one, dead easy to use and reliable. I use it all the time for data back-ups and generating audio CDs, although I admit I use Nero 9 for more complex tasks like asembling video DVDs

http://free-easy-cd-dvd-burner.en.softonic.com/

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users