Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mass distribution of a file.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pastlife123

Pastlife123

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hello,

My company has Windows sever 2008 and around 40+ active workers and workstations.

We are setting up a help desk so if anyone has a problem they click a shortcut on their desktop and fill out a request form.

However, I have no idea how to distribute this shortcut over the network so that every person on the network gets this shortcut on their desktop.

I once had a work placement where the IT manager did something on sever 2003 to which he distributed software to over 300 PC's as it was a school. Something like that would be ideal.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Use a start up script in Group Policy. 

Create a batch file, Edit the command to reflect your setup. save it as Logon.bat now open Group Policy editor and create a new polic. Under Computer Configuration scripts/startup select the batch file you just created. 

Copy \\ServerName\SharedFolder\Shortcut.lnk "%userprofile%\Desktop" /Y

Edited by Sneakycyber, 07 September 2013 - 01:58 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

I too would suggest using Group policy, but there is a now a bult in way to manipulate and maintain files, so logon scripts are no longer neccessary as long as you are using newer operating systems (This also works on windows XP as long as you have Group Policy clientside extensions installed on the clients).

You will need to apply a group policy object (GPO) to the Organisational unit (OU) that users that need the link. Within the Group policy object, the settings that you require are under "User Configuration" / "Preferences" / "Windows Settings" / "Files".

It's probably a good idea to create a test user within a test OU that has your GPO applied to it, and play with getting the Group policy object correct there before applying it to the OU that contains your real users.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the update X64, I havent had a chance to update our GPO with the newest methods. I relied on what was done already and  Google :P

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users