Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor works only on safe mode.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 montechristo

montechristo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hello, everyone.

I have the following problem: I had an old desktop from 2008 running vista. It was working amazingly well throughout the years but recently I thought about bringing it to my folks without my good screen. As soon as I got here I tried to connect it to their brand new TV-monitor but it failed. It goes like this. While the computer starts booting the monitor works. Then, after it tries to boot windows it stops working. Black. No signal. I know the computer has booted but I cannot see anything. If I restart it and go into safe mode the monitor works as it is supposed to.

After doing lots of search on line I understood that the pc opens in safe mode using a seperate graphics card, is that so? It gives a poor vga quality signal. My graphics is part of the motherboard so it cannot be that there are problems with that connection. What's left? That the graphics card is burnt or broken during the trip?

Could it be something else?

Is there a way to make the computer always work on the vga so that I don't have to search for a new graphics card, motherboard etc since it makes no sense for a computer that's going to be used just to check the weather (honestly!)?

Thank you everyone for sparing your time reading all this.

Monte.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

The TV set has a limited set of resolutions that it can support would be my guess. And the computer when it boots into normal windows is sending a out of range signal so the TV goes black.

Look up the make and model and see what resolutions it supports. Use a monitor to reset the PC settings and You should be good to go.

Others may have other suggestions too.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

After doing lots of search on line I understood that the pc opens in safe mode using a seperate graphics card, is that so?

Not a separate graphics card, but rather it uses a "default" Windows graphics driver rather than the specific driver for the particular graphics card/chipset in the computer. And the "default" Windows graphics driver forces the graphics card/chipset to use a rather low "generic" resolution.

So, what rotor123 suggested will likely do what you need...i.e. figure out what resolution the TV will support and then hook up the old PC to an actual computer monitor to set the computer to that resolution....then when you hook the computer to the TV, it should be set to a resolution that the TV will support and it should work.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thank You smax013 for the additional information You added. I meant to cover that and got distracted by the real world intruding.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users