Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting exe files ok?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Is it ok to delete exe files after installing software? Reaosn being, I wish to keep my downloads folder clear and jsut wish to make sure abotu this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Why not? Unless you paid for it, that is. There is also perhaps a small security issue here. Its not a good idea to reinstall a program that you downloaded last year. It might be an outdated and compromised program. Best practice is to use the latest software available.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Hi, If they are the install files then it is OK to delete them. I personally prefer to put them into a folder called Used. I back that folder up for future need. When I purchase downloadable software I save the Downloaded installer and I save the email with the key. That way if the hard drive should die or a bad virus or any other disaster should happen to the computer, I have a easy install of the software into the new windows.

I have also seen a few portable files where the downloaded file is the program. I put them into my Program Files folder and put a shortcut on the desktop.

High Quality DVD blanks, NAS drives and USB3 externals are so Cheap I just keep everything backed up.

Bottom line, it is a matter of personal preference to keep or delete.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Why not? Unless you paid for it, that is. There is also perhaps a small security issue here. Its not a good idea to reinstall a program that you downloaded last year. It might be an outdated and compromised program. Best practice is to use the latest software available.

Except that in the case of much of my purchased software I have to pay for version upgrades, So I use the older ones. With the Video Editing software in some cases the old version has features that the new version does not. And the other way around too.

On my video Authoring Software, I have three versions installed. The oldest will accept non standard MPGs and author them without encoding them and they always play on my target devices. The next newer one could create DVDs or .divx disks. The newest can create DVDs or BluRay disks but not .divx.

I do keep my security software versions up to date however. Browsers too.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I have no need to keep the exe files then as they are simply softwares which I can download at any time.

#6 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

As you said, since you can download them at any time, it is ok to delete EXE files. :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users