Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware & Others Won't Finish Running!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tchrmom

tchrmom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

Hi,
A little glitch. Seems no matter what type of antivirus or antispyware program I try to run, it just never gets to the part where I could actually fix anything.
Ad-aware gets to the place where it says I have maybe 28 registry keys, 1 file, and 1 folder with issues and then it "stops responding."
Spybot starts up all right but then it just runs and does nothing. Where the green progress bar should appear, it just stays empty and white.
Tried running my Norton Antivirus. It found 5 adware type files, but wasn't able to fix or delete any of them.
So, I went to PC Pitstop. When I first tried to run the full system test there a box popped up that said:
"16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
c:\WINDOWS\system32\pcpbios.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
Choose close to terminate the application."
I hit close and the PC Pitstop test ran. I got a red flag on Security in the results. Tried running the autofix, but it hung up.
Then I went to Trend Micro for the Housecall. That also wouldn't run for me. Gets just so far and then nothing.
My computer runs, but seems very slow sometimes. Other times it's fine. Did I mention that it was a bear getting Disk Cleanup to run? Every site I go to recommends running this or that program to get rid of trouble, but that isn't too helpful when everything I try to run freezes up. Any other ideas????
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:38 PM

Have you tried running Ad-AwareSE and Spybot in Safe Mode?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tchrmom

tchrmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:59 PM

Yes, I ran Ad-awareSE in safe mode and it worked. But then, when I rebooted and tried running it again from the normal screen it said I still had several infected files and froze up again. It did get rid of some things though. Oh, and I tried Spybot again and it still doesn't work either. Grrrr.....
(Also, I scanned my computer with Norton Antivirus in safe mode. It didn't find anything.)

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:01 AM

Well at least you made a little progress.
I would suggest you post a HJT log for our volunteer team of experts to review and then they will guide you through the removal of any malware the log finds. The instructions for posting are found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users