Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Dvd And Cd Drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jackpine

Jackpine

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:22 PM

I am installing the following components in a new computer:

Lite-on SOHC-5236V 52x32x52 + 16x COMBO drive

Lite-on SHW-160P6S 16x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW drive

I have reviewed my mobo manual (ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe), and am not 100% sure where the data cables from each of these drives connects to.

I would really appreciate any help.

Is it the Primary IDE connector (using Ultra DMA 100/66 signal cable)? This cable has provision for a slave device (optical drive/hard disc drive) and a master device (hard disc drive).

Or is it the IDE connectors (SEC_EIDE and PRI_EIDE), which the manual says are not for ATAPI devices?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

I think it's the blue guy in this picture.

The red ones are for your hard drives, the tiny red ones if you chose to go SATA

I would put the DVD/RW on the end of the cable and set it as master, the other drive in the middle of the cable set as slave.

If you use SATA hard drives, don't use more than one power cable per drive - they have two types of connectors - use the newer SATA connectors. And be very careful with the SATA connectors - they're easy to pull clear off the motherboard or snap the L-shaped support. Once you fasten the cable to the motherboard, don't try to pull it back off. If you use the EIDE hard drives, ignore that info.

The little black one higher up on the board is smaller and used for floppy if you want one.

#3 Jackpine

Jackpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:19 PM

OK, I think I understand.

Is it possible to install 2 DVD/RW drives and the 1 CD Combo drive?

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:15 PM

You can only install two IDE devices on a chain. You only have one IDE plug. The only other option is a SATA drive, which can be difficult to find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users