Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dept justice virus - hitman won't fix with out lisence key

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 clarencetr2

clarencetr2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

I followed the instructions and made a boot usb.  it worked fine - found problems - but when I hit Next it asks me for a licesnce key.

None of the tutorials I saw on youtube or this site said we had to pay.  I feel hijacked all over again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

Perhaps if you were to give some detail here...OS, what led up to you needing a 'boot usb',....what other steps you have taken.....

Regards,

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 clarencetr2

clarencetr2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

Windows 7. Wife's computer.   Dept of Justice Ransom Virus.  Followed the steps on the site here to clear the virus with usb boot key from Hitman.  Hitman software found viruses when I move to the next screen - instead of deleting the virus, it prompts for a licence key to delete.and I need to purchase on the main computer as the boot version does not support purchase of key.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,572 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

I want to reiterate that we only use software in our guides that is free to clean. If you never used it before, you should not have had to pay. HitmanPro will clean a computer for free for 30 days, which is why we recommend it. Unfortunately, we have no control or idea how Hitman determines if a computer has previously used it. If it does it based on the IP address, then it is possible that someone previously was using the same IP as you and had used the software.

I will reach out to them and see if we can find out why this may have happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users