Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet service speed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DNW

DNW

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

We're experiencing slow internet speeds even though we're paying extra for the higher speed service (Elite?) through AT&T. It takes forever to download programs on Netflix, & usually it's not HD quality. My son's online games lag sometimes as well.

I'm a bit leery about calling AT&T tech support for assistance b/c I feel I may get a run around, or they may say everything on their end is just fine. What can I do on my end to try & speed up my internet on my own? 

On speedtest.net It says "Ping: 104ms; Download Speed: 1.07Mbps; Upload Speed: .34Mbps". 

Our modem is a Westell ADSL2+, style MSTATEA. We have a new wireless router--Netgear Model D6200.

Any recommendations of what I can try on my own? Or, any key words/phrases I should use when talking with AT&T Tech support to help them understand my situation, so they'll know what to do on their end to help me? 

Do you need any additional info from my end to help diagnose what the problem could be?

Thanks!

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

SpeedTest is regarded as a guide rather than gospel, but a series taken over a period of time gives a good idea of what you are getting. However, you should do the test with only one computer on-line and preferably connected by cable rather than wireless. This gives a better measure of what is coming into the house, rather than across the wireless network - which can introduce losses.

If you find that there is a significant difference - more than a few per cent - when connected by wireless rather than cable, then you could try repositioning the router.

Other things you can do in the house are check the firmness of your wired connections between the modem / router and the phone socket, and you can try a different filter. These can cook, but I have never had one fail.

You say you use AT&T, so I guess you live in the USA. If you are paying for a higher performance connection and you are not getting it, then AT&T are in breach of contract and it is probably time to start jumping up and down at them. But start off politely ! 

Internet connection speeds are notorious for the vagueness with which they are described, but I assume that a premium rate connection would be quoted at a higher performance level than a standard one, and if you are not getting it, you are entitled to complain. Certainly, the connection rate you quote above is not what I would consider 'premium'. After all, if you went into your local service station for a gallon of petrol (gasoline) you would be less than happy if, having paid for the gallon, you were told 'It's only a pint, today !'

Chris Cosgrove

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

Does this happen with both wired and wireless computers/devices?

You mention a Westell modem and a Netgear router. That particular Netgear router appears to have a built-in ADSL modem. Are you actually using a separate Westell modem rather than the modem in the router? If so, you might want to consider trying the modem built into the router. As well, if you are using the Westell modem, then try connecting a computer directly to that modem WITHOUT the router and see if that changes anything.

#4 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

On speedtest.net It says "Ping: 104ms; Download Speed: 1.07Mbps; Upload Speed: .34Mbps. 

A ping of 104ms appears to be slow but that time also depends on how many round-trip hops are encountered. Try pinging something very close, with minimal hops, and see if that makes a difference. You also left out a very important piece of information. Specifically, what level of service are you paying for (up/down speeds)? Also, be aware that some ISPs have a bandwidth limitation and, if exceeded, they may throttle your service back but good luck in getting them to admit they did. Good luck. 

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

Since You are on DSL and DSL is distance sensitive as well as line condition sensitive have You asked their tech support to look at you service. You would be surprised at what they can see remotely for troubleshooting.

Try here also

AT&T Direct official support forum. Secure area for member-to-ATT communication. BBR members with full read and post access are ATT Techs working to solve customer issues to the best of their ability. Questions about this forum should be directed to the forum moderator.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sbcdirect

or

Welcome to the AT&T DSL Forum. Feel free to ask questions and generally discuss your AT&T service.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/attdsl

When I had DSL at work before cable internet became available we had speed issues. Verizon was able to look at the service up to the modem and the tech said he was surprised it worked at all based on what he saw in the modem when he looked. We were happy to get what we did as it was usually better than Dial-up would have been. It turned out that due to the network topology we were really to far for reliable DSL service. We never did get the speed we were supposed to have. On the other hand when I had DSL at home I was getting the speed I paid for, 4Mbps.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users