Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard quit typing letters

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 loralunden

loralunden

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

My keyboard will not allow my to enter my password in normal or safe mode start.  I can't get to the control panel because I can't . Log on 

A different keyboard also does not respond.  Now my pc is useless and I just upgraded the hard drive. 

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

Was your PC/ keyboard working ok after the HD upgrade.....or has it not worked since you upgraded ??

regards.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 loralunden

loralunden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Yes it worked great for several weeks then on restart won't type

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

keyboard connection......ps2....usb.....wireless...?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 loralunden

loralunden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

It's a desktop pic with a USB keyboard. Windows Xp professional

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

try a different usb port.

Shut the pc down......plug the keyboard in....start the pc.

Success ?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 loralunden

loralunden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

I also tried another type keyboard and it won't type either

#8 loralunden

loralunden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

I tried that too

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

The mouse is working ok??....is the mouse usb also?.....if so...plug the keyboard into the usb slot the mouse is occupying.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 loralunden

loralunden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yes the mouse works but its plugged into the keyboard!

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

ok...click on Start.....right click on My Computer......Properties.....click on Hardware tab....Click on Device manager........look for Keyboards...click on + sign if it is there.......Right click on your keyboard......Click on uninstall...Click on OK to confirm.

Reboot.

let me know.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 loralunden

loralunden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

I can't get there bc I can't log in

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Click on Start....All programs.....Accessories.....Accessibility......On screen Keyboard......"type" in your password......(click on the appropriate letters/numbers.....)

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 loralunden

loralunden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

Thank you and that sounds like it would work if I could get to start. I have the windows screen and it says log in. Where start would be is only the option to sleep, shut down, or restart. Even in safe mode I have the same screen. No typing allowed to put in my password to open windows to get to the start button. I was hook g to bypass the password phase and can't find how to do that. It says I have to be logged in as an administrator and I can't log in. This is a mess

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:37 AM

Was the 'different keyboard' you used a known good keyboard??....definitely working..??.....try plugging it into a different usb port.....if the keyboard usually plugs into the back of the tower, try using one of the usb ports on the front of the tower (if it has any)

We need to go through the process of elimination again.

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users