Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comanche - The Only Official Survivor of The Little Big Horn Battlele

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Cavalry horse COMANCHE, was the only living thing that survived Custers Little Big Horn massacre. He was bought in1868 by the US Army in St.Louis Missouri.
Captain Myles Keogh of the 7th Cavalry (killed in the battle)  bought him for his personal mount.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comanche_(horse) and many more links on the web.

The Little Big Horn battle took place on Sunday 25th June 1876.

When found, Comanche had a number of wounds, 3 serious - one through the neck, one through his front shoulders and one went right through his rear just in front of the hind legs. I think it was one arrow and two bullets, the rest were flesh wounds. He was found two days after the battle wandering about very weak from his wounds amongst Custers 200 dead soldiers and a number of dead horses. All the fit horses were taken by the Indians.

Comanche was wounded many times before the Little Big Horn, arrows, bullets and flesh wounds but survived all these to retain his fitness as a cavalry horse.

He was nursed back to health - it took over a year in a special stable with loving medical care and he had to have slings to help him recover. After that was treated to a luxurious life as the proud and cherished mascot of the 7th Cavalry. He lived for 15 years after the battle and died of natural causes.

Comanche is one of only two horses in American history to be given full military honours on their death.

The picture below was taken on the actual battle field, dead horses are shown in the back ground.

This poor horse must have suffered a life of pain with all the wounds he received but still carried out his duties as if nothing had happened. He was declared unfit for service after this final battle.
He is now preserved in a glass case at the University of Kansas Natural History Museum on public display.

Many people have claimed to have survived the battle of The Little Big Horn, but none have been officially corroborated.

COMANCHE

COMANCHE1_zps7f916918.jpg

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 August 2013 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

Cavalry horse COMANCHE, was the only living thing that survived Custers Little Big Horn massacre

Just shows you how history is written by the victors. I've always read the same thing you have here, but I was probably in high school, before someone smarter than me, pointed out that if you look at the whole thing, a ton of Indians survived too.

But the way it's worded, growing up with John Wayne everywhere in the western movies, I never thought past the way it was worded. :cowboy:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

Cavalry horse COMANCHE, was the only living thing that survived Custers Little Big Horn massacre

Just shows you how history is written by the victors. I've always read the same thing you have here, but I was probably in high school, before someone smarter than me, pointed out that if you look at the whole thing, a ton of Indians survived too.

But the way it's worded, growing up with John Wayne everywhere in the western movies, I never thought past the way it was worded. :cowboy:

Pointless  comment of yours, irrelevant and rather juvenile. Victors do not survive massacres, that is the pleasure of the victims.

We all know that thousands of Indians survived the battle -THEY WON !

That comment you kindly highlight and proudly ridicule refers to the 7th Cavalry victims NOT the Indians.

It does say "Custers Little Big Horn massacre". For Heavens sake it means the MASSACRE not the guys who walked away. Unfortunately for Custer and his men, John Wayne was not available, otherwise without a doubt history would have been changed forever.

My post is  clearly written and should be understood easily by any intelligent reader. I think the guy "smarter than you"  who actually was bright enough to spot that tons of Indians survived the battle, needs a refresher course at Kindergarten. Tell him to try Goldilocks and the Three Bears, makes good reading, but he will probably misconstrue that as well with his eye for detail.

The bottom line is that this thread is about a poor and very brave Cavalry horse that suffered many wounds in his life and finally survived the Big Horn massacre. Why spoil it with idiotic nit-picking about  something entirely different that makes little sense in any case ? Perhaps devote your remarkable skills to another thread eh ?

Edited by yabbadoo, 19 August 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

Pointless  comment of yours, irrelevant and rather juvenile. Victors do not survive massacres, that is the pleasure of the victims.

We all know that thousands of Indians survived the battle -THEY WON !

That comment you kindly highlight and proudly ridicule refers to the 7th Cavalry victims NOT the Indians.

It does say "Custers Little Big Horn massacre". For Heavens sake it means the MASSACRE not the guys who walked away. Unfortunately for Custer and his men, John Wayne was not available, otherwise without a doubt history would have been changed forever.

My post is  clearly written and should be understood easily by any intelligent reader. I think the guy "smarter than you"  who actually was bright enough to spot that tons of Indians survived the battle, needs a refresher course at Kindergarten. Tell him to try Goldilocks and the Three Bears, makes good reading, but he will probably misconstrue that as well with his eye for detail.

The bottom line is that this thread is about a poor and very brave Cavalry horse that suffered many wounds in his life and finally survived the Big Horn massacre. Why spoil it with idiotic nit-picking about  something entirely different that makes little sense in any case ? Perhaps devote your remarkable skills to another thread eh ?

No need to get snarky. I live over here, you don't. I know what happened, I just pointed out the way it was worded.

Time to grow up Mr. Flintstone.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

And this topic is closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users