Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt User Profile? Unable to find fix.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 matty34

matty34

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Hi all,

Seems like yesterday(Saturday), my computer has decided to possibly corrupt my user profile. I logged in as normal, but instead of loading straight into windows, it decided it would give me "Preparing your desktop" - this would hang for a few minutes. Once it loaded, all my shortcuts were disappeared, all my harddrive links to certain folders were gone and a few programs wouldn't load. I took a look at my users in C drive, and I could see everything under my username. 

I decided I'd try renaming the profile, so I made 2 more new admin accs. One for the new profiles, other to move it... In safe mode, I renamed my original account to what my other acc was, deleted the new folder. I then deleted the reg key for the profiles for my other accs. It worked fine once I loaded it, started without any glitches, had everything I needed; apparently this was just a temp fix.

I started my computer this evening (Sunday) and I had all 3 accounts come up. My original, the new, the transfer. I logged into the new one that I used yesterday, and my icons have enlarged along with my background being changed. Also with a couple of programs not working.

The only thing I can remember doing before Saturday, was uninstalling UPlay & Ghost Recon Future Soldier as my SSD was running out of space. Cleared up 20gbs roughly. 

Is there anything I can do to check for a real fix, or to be sure it won't happen again or to bring back my user profile properly?

Any help is appreciated.

Rgrds

M34

P.S - I'd rather not reformat, if I can help it. I'm currently re-backing up my entire HDD to be sure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Windows 7 default administrator account is normally hidden.  This last week I discovered that I had two administrator accounts to choose from rather than booting straight to my account.  If you want to check to see if this is what has happened type cmd  in the Search programs and files box.  This will appear in the pane above the search box, right click on this and choose Run as administrator. In the elevated command prompt type in net user administrator /active:no , press Enter.

You should have the message The command completed successfully.

This command will hide the default administrator account, as it should be.

Edited by dc3, 18 August 2013 - 05:35 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users