Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to do besides scanning?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mochimochi

Mochimochi

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

So... hi :)

It's been a while since I've really posted. Had nothing to contribute really. But recently I've had something in mind; what if~ I'm scanning with my usual stuff (antivirus, malware scanner and others), and it's all clear from there. But I feel like there's something wrong with the system? (A few hints of lag here and there where it shouldn't, I just visited a new site, I just downloaded a program from the internet)

What should one do to be extra sure? And if there's a post about this already I'm sorry, just wanted your guys feedback and if you've ever felt the same paranoia lol. 

:smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Do you have reason to suspect malware?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Usually when a computer is infected there will be indications (symptoms of infection) something is wrong.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Mochimochi

Mochimochi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

@Didier: Well.... Nope~ >.< Ever since I joined the forum my computer has been in tip top shape! (Hoping I didn't jinx myself lol) Thankful for all the "safe programs" list, habits and virustotal. 

@quietman7: Thanks again for the useful info quietman7. :D This is all true, but I was just wondering what if there was some sort of super hidden virus or malware that doesn't have any symptom and it's just silently there messing with files :o Or spying on your packets or something?? Is that even possible..   :smash:  Who would even go to such lengths >.<  

Sorry everyone, just got some paranoid thoughts while transferring a few files from a friend's usb for a project. Dx

Edited by Mochimochi, 19 August 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

Yes it is always possible that an an undetected hidden piece of malware such as a rootkit may be present but again, there are usually symptoms of such an infection to indicate something is wrong.

Many anti-virus programs utilize optional heuristic scanning engine features to detect brand new viruses and other types of malware, based on behaviors and coding patterns that infections commonly use. Heuristic analysis is the ability of an anti-virus program to detect possible new variants of malware before the vendor can get samples and update the program's definitions for detection. Heuristics uses non-specific detection methods to find new or unknown malware which allows the anti-virus to detect and stop if before doing any harm to your system. Heuristic scanning methods vary depending on the vendor. Some claim to allow emulation of the file's activities in a virtual sandbox. Others scan the file more intensively, searching line by line inspecting the code in a file to see if it contains virus-like characteristics. If the number of these characteristics/instructions exceeds a pre-defined threshold, the file is flagged as a possible virus.

Eset: Heuristic AnalysisDetecting Unknown Viruses
Kaspersky: What is heuristic analysis
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users