Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Windows Defender Do A Scheduled Scan?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nivrip

nivrip

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

I have Win7 with MSE installed and my daughter has just got a new laptop with Win8 and Windows Defender installed.

The two protection systems look very similar except for the fact that there is no option of a scheduled scan on Windows Defender (at least I can't see one). The scheduled scan checks for updates and then scans the system daily or weekly which seems like a sensible idea to me.

It looks as though the only way to do a scan on Win8 is to do it manually - not a good idea, I would have thought, as it's easy to forget.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to schedule scans?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi, from here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-defender-windows-8-schedule-option-missing/b6603c6a-cba9-4ba7-a894-37f895fc6c92

As I understand, you are facing issues with scheduling of Windows Defender.

You may follow the steps to open Task Scheduler:

a.     Press Windows key + W on the keyboard to bring up Search interface.

b.    Type “Schedule tasks” without quotes and select it from the list on the left hand side.

c.     It will open up the Task Scheduler window.

It would pay to read the entire page

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 August 2013 - 02:09 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 nivrip

nivrip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Roger,

Well, I think I may have set the schedule but I won't be sure till tomorrow when I check things.

It's hard to understand why MS haven't just used MSE for security. It's so much simpler. Is it possible to download MSE and delete Windows Defender?

Edited by nivrip, 18 August 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

This may explain it for You, hopefully. From here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-defender

• In Windows 8 and Windows RT, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials. You can't use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 or Windows RT, but you don't need to—Windows Defender is already included and ready to go.

Windows SmartScreen is a new safety feature in Windows 8 and Windows RT that can help protect you from new malware that antimalware software hasn't detected yet. When you download and run an app downloaded from the Internet, SmartScreen uses information about the app's reputation to warn you if the app isn't well-known and might be malicious.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users