Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copying programs and files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dzjoseph

dzjoseph

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hi. How can you copy all programs and files from your older windows 7 laptop to a new window 8 laptop>

Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Babbzzz

Babbzzz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

You can copy the files to an external HDD but you'll have to install the programs.

Edited by Babbzzz, 18 August 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi

Installed programs can't be transferred one machine to another. You need to re-install the latest Windows 8 compatible version of each programs in the new laptop. To transfer all the data from old machine to new, please refer the below excellent tutorial.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/transfer-data-from-old-computer-to-windows-8/

#4 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Generally speaking, we use external device. like USB, SSD, HDD, etc, to transfer files from old to new computer. The tutorial mentioned above would be help. Good luck!

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

I would use Windows "Easy Transfer". You will also keep all your user settings and the like, file locations and everything. Just make sure you have all your software installed on your new machine before you do the transfer, or you will lose saves and program settings and the like. Go through what will be transferred manually, don't trust the automatic settings...

edit: Just saw Anshads link to the tutorial is also about easy transfer... That is the go.

Edited by TsVk!, 18 August 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

looks cool, Windows Easy Transfer is a bit crazy and requires tweaking to work properly. On the other hand, it is free....

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

I needed to transfer some things from desktop to my laptop. Normally I would use my external drive but I couldn't find it.

Did some digging on the internet and found TeamViewer and decided to try it. It worked.

You install it in both computers, connecting the 2 systems is very simple, use file transfer, done.

It may take a while for the transfer to complete. It's free. No special cable to buy.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users