Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor upgrade for Compaq Presario CQ56-104SA?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adiwalsh

adiwalsh

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hi. I'm looking to upgrade my Compaq Presario CQ56-104SA (AMD v140 stock) to a faster processor. I've already upgraded to 6GB of RAM but it made very little difference. In the service manual for this laptop the best processor listed is an AMD Athlon II N350. I have updated my BIOS to the latest version so I am now wondering, is the N350 still the best processor compatible with my mobo? I would like a Tri or even quad core at around 2.3GHz if possible.

Also, is there any way I could contact HP directly to ask them?

Thanks, Adi.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hi

According to the official service manual, Athlon II N370 2.5 Ghz is the highest processor that can be used in your machine. Using any unsupported CPU is highly not recommended. 

According to a post in HP forum, CQ56 can be upgraded to Phenom II N970 2.2 Ghz Quad Core Processor but i can't gurantee the accuracy of that information.

Source : http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PCs-Pavilions-Presario/Compaq-Presario-CQ56-Processor-Upgrade/td-p/5817429#.UhEOfvvQnIA

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 18 August 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#3 adiwalsh

adiwalsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi. Thank you for your reply. After thinking about it for some time I think I'll go with either the N370 at 2.5GHz or the N350 at 2.4GHz. Either will be a huge improvement on my current single core 2.3GHz LoL.

Thanks for the help, Adi.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

Hi

Yes, there will be a great improvement when switching from single core to dual core CPU. Wish you good luck  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users